I want this look!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't like tubes? How would you deal with the Coker tires that are tube type?

Just an FYI, I've been running Coker (tube type) bias ply tires for many years WITHOUT tubes. I've never had a problem and it's an easy repair if I suffer a puncture on the road.

Some days I should just keep my big trap shut. I didn't think anybody made tires with tubes anymore.

Wasn't trying to be smart or rude, just a question. Is there another way to deal with a tube-type tire? I'm running 6 Coker tube-types on my truck and believe me, mine won't hold air tubeless. Four of the rims were tubeless before, so I'm sure it's not those rims. I was told to try a can of Fix-a-Flat in each. Don't know about that.

Im 33 this is my first rat rod. I had a 69 el camino so its a whole new world for me and ive jumped in a forum for the first time to learn new stuff that a kid like me didnt have the privilage of knowing obviously because of a massive time gap alOng with cars getting harder and harder to find everyday. I ask questions because im sure thier are much wiser people about this than me. You dont expect that knowledge to come at u the way u delivered it Dr. Thanks to all who posted i believe my idea may get put on an 8" rim just to be safe.

John

by jove......I think you've got it!!!

Im 33 this is my first rat rod. I had a 69 el camino so its a whole new world for me and ive jumped in a forum for the first time to learn new stuff that a kid like me didnt have the privilage of knowing obviously because of a massive time gap alOng with cars getting harder and harder to find everyday. I ask questions because im sure thier are much wiser people about this than me. You dont expect that knowledge to come at u the way u delivered it Dr. Thanks to all who posted i believe my idea may get put on an 8" rim just to be safe.

John

I believe that you've made the right decision....but that is JMHO...:D

I've always loved the look of bulging sidewalls. Hate the look of skinny wheels and wide tires. However when the tire blows out the rim will be on the pavement pretty quickly as the tire deteriorates.
Doesn't seem to be a concern on racecars tho.:confused:

Back in the "olden" days (1950's) when I was a youngster, we often spread narrow tires to fit wide rims. Those were bias tires with tubes as radial tires had not been in use in this country yet. I didn't prove to be a problem then.

They are L78 15s from coker on 10 inch wide wheels.. Drove the balls off that car.. The shots in that magazine this month are from Beatersville in Ky which is the next state up.. I drove it in to Beatersville and was on top of the world that day.. I love that car its in Canada now..

no tubes no gas its simple.. I drop them off at the local tire shop they use a cheetah to blow them out like that.. Its not such a crazy stretch you need tubes like my current sedan Strip Tease is.. There was no way to blow them out so i had to run tubes but this car you guys are referring to does not have tubes they just use a cheetah i like the blown out look so i put it on most all my cars if you go to the website you will see its a common thing i do.. This car now has cheater slicks on the back but its not a pain in the ass to do i watch them do it.. Its a 5 gallon air tank with a blow off valve on it and they fill it up and blow it into the tire.. we do the same thing to most our personal vehicles and drive them everywhere daily with no problems

I'm going to play the critic on this one...
It looks like someone couldn't afford to buy wheels and tires that matched so they cobbled something together bout like walking around in a polka dotted shirt with striped pants.
Looks stupid I can't find any other way to say it but it's self evident.
Sure it's been done... sure you can find enclaves where they all wore stripes with polka dots growing up...There's even some camaraderie that comes from doing silly things as a group. There's even cred to be won like "we all stick pencils up our nose but Joe can do it the farthest with the most pencils Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe Joe...."
figguring out the question HOW most always distracts a man from asking WHY [ddev
When your broke your broke and you do what you have to do with what you can find but I can't imagine going out and spending good money to do something like that

Last edited:
I like 'em that way.[cl That's why we don't all build the same hot rod.

I tend to like the movies the critics hate too.:D

all you need to do to air them up is spray a little starting fluid inside the tire. stand back and throw a match in it. thats the way they used to do big truck tires

I like 'em that way.[cl That's why we don't all build the same hot rod.

I tend to like the movies the critics hate too.:D

cool. I even like what I hate sometimes more than I hate what I like.

I hadnt check this in a bit and just happened to check out the site today to see if there were any L78-15's new or used for sale and happy to see my topic had been commented on again. First @ slaughterhouse thanks for commenting and also thanks to your custom shop for goin the extra mile and shooting me an email full of info! Not alot of car builders go as outa there way to help! Thanks! I like your cars and i dig the man that builds em! Thanks for givin ur time to help out a guy with a few technical questions! Im borrowing ur look and trust me itll turn heads and be critiqued. I think ill enjoy both parts. Thanks all! Enjoy rat rodding its not all pocadots and stripes out there!

Me too!

Just caught this thread. Gotta say I like em too. Safety?....used to do it .....many times! It's that "different strokes" thang.[ddd

Wait ...I have a novel idea. Do whatcha want...be different! I do. LOL

Lynn

Or you could be like the idiot at the local Caddy repair shop. I ask him if he has any big engines in the bone yard to build a hot rod with. He replied everyone is using the LS engines now. My point exactly i am not everyone else.

Latest posts

Back