what is this front axle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea, but it does seem to have holes for a traverse front spring or at least wishbones to mount to. The spindle backing plate seems to be slightly different than Fords from that era though, but the steering arms look similar.

What is the wheel bolt pattern...........5 X 5.5 ??

Don

I can't recall any Ford axles having that dip in the center, however I also can't think of any make other than Ford that used that style of suspension with a cross buggy spring and the wishbone mount. [S:confused:
Considering that someone welded on mounts for the cross spring, is it possible that they also bent the axle to give it the drop center for some odd rod installation??

I found one (and only one) reference. It says Lincoln Zephyr, dimensions given but no year...

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?58725-Lincoln-Zephyr-front-axle-spindles-amp-wishbone

attachment.php

and a possible source for info...

http://www.boos-herrel.com/index.html

I found one (and only one) reference. It says Lincoln Zephyr, dimensions given but no year...

http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?58725-Lincoln-Zephyr-front-axle-spindles-amp-wishbone

attachment.php

and a possible source for info...

http://www.boos-herrel.com/index.html

Thank you sir, I was searching all day today and came up with nothing lol. I did check that second link you posted though and from what I gathered from my searching is 1936-41 zephyrs all had the same undercarriages. The only changes were to the body.

I really like that, it is a pretty design. The only problem might be if you have it dropped, that dip in the middle would be very close to the ground, more than a regular Ford axle. But undropped it would look bitchin'.

Don

I really like that, it is a pretty design. The only problem might be if you have it dropped, that dip in the middle would be very close to the ground, more than a regular Ford axle. But undropped it would look bitchin'.

Don

I agree, that's the whole reason I got the axle, cause it has a nice shape as is. When I get home I'm going to take some measurements and see if ford brake parts will work on this axle.

Last edited:
If it is a Lincoln axle, Ford parts won't work. Totally different. I have found that out by researching it to try and find discs that would fit. From what I have been told, the Lincoln brakes are real good, better than the Ford brakes of the same era. They can be made to fit a Ford axle, but Ford can't be made to fit the Lincoln due to the sizes. Just going on what I've been told, I do know I haven't found a bolt on disc brake kit for Lincolns.

If it is a Lincoln axle, Ford parts won't work. Totally different. I have found that out by researching it to try and find discs that would fit. From what I have been told, the Lincoln brakes are real good, better than the Ford brakes of the same era. They can be made to fit a Ford axle, but Ford can't be made to fit the Lincoln due to the sizes. Just going on what I've been told, I do know I haven't found a bolt on disc brake kit for Lincolns.

All of the above is correct.
Standard hot rod practice back in the day was an upgrade to Lincoln brakes. Last time I looked Lincoln brake parts were fairly expensive compared to Ford of the same era.If you re looking to go with a modern braking system you might be better off looking for a Ford axle. Lots of options with those.
Torchie.

All of the above is correct.
Standard hot rod practice back in the day was an upgrade to Lincoln brakes. Last time I looked Lincoln brake parts were fairly expensive compared to Ford of the same era.
Torchie.

It seems like that All Lincoln parts are expensive, due to the champagne and caviar crowd and their Continentals.

My Son Dan has either 37 or 39 Lincoln style brakes on his rpu from Wilson Welding. They bolt on regular Ford 37-48 spindles with only a little grinding on the top of the spindle where the kingpin goes through.

I suspect those same Ford spindles would go onto your axle, as long as the kingpin inclination, the bore, and the width of the axle in that area are the same.

Don

Latest posts

Back