Steering arm spring

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptar_head

Hey guys, working on my 1929 International truck, and I'm reusing the steering arms. So inside the big steering arm where the other arms fit in, it has 2 pieces that cradle the ball end of the steering box arm. One of the pieces butts up against the screw in portion, this is on the right of the below picture, that part screws out to be able to get the arms disassembled. It's the part on the left of the picture that's in question, the piece that butts up against the ball end has a spring behind it and that spring broke.

I don't know what this spring is called or where I would get another one. Or if I even need to use it, I could just make is solid of course, but I assume if they were designed with them then they serve a good purpose. It is really stiff, I replaced it with a spring from an exhaust bolt just so I could put it all together. It compresses that spring very easily with the torque of steering (causing lots of slop in the steering). Maybe a valve spring would suffice if there's no source for them? I dunno, help a guy out please!

Awesome, thanks! I'm searching for drag link rebuild kit and finding all kinds of things, I'm sure one of them will work. Just didn't know what to call it, thanks a ton!

Latest posts

Back