Gear truck Rear

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddRodsGarage

GM truck Rear ?

I pick this up out of a field for my truck build and figured I could just find the numbers on it and go from there ... wrong

The only numbers I could find on it was on the third member were on the right side M G 724 was stamped on it and 199 was cast into the left side

It has a six lug 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and 2" brakes .

It also had perches for leaf springs

Any ideas ?

It looks like I can only ad one picture at a time ....

Attachments

• 66 Rat build 058.jpg
    66 Rat build 058.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
rear end Id

For MG I get 1960 GMC - K10 - 4x4 - 3.90 ratio. 724 - July 24th.

Thanks Dr. C.
I do have another question .... was that info in your head or written down somewhere ? I have a lot of reference in my shop going back to 1917 AND I did the searches in all the usual places and came up empty ... I am going to redo it all today with GMC instead of Chevy , but sure would like to have the written reference you used around and need to find one ...
Oldog

Also glad to hear it is a tuff piece cause I am going to put it through hell Bones ....

knowing him he had it in his head. lol that rear end style was used in the 50 and early 60's cars and trucks. i remember a classmate that carried a extra 3rd member in the trunk of his 56 chevy, seems they didn't like being behind a 2-4 crossram 396 4 speed car.

Last edited:
Well I was gonna guess early 60s Chevy. I was just a little late. A friend ran one of these in a pulling truck for a long time. It never did fail.

Latest posts

Back