Need to ID my front axle please?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddredger

Going to order wheel cylinders and shoes for this bad boy and I need to know what this front end is? The hubs are 6 lug if that helps.

0227141648-00.jpg

mine had numbers on the front side of it ,,, but it looks like a 49 chevy I had and is the axle on backwards ?? or does it matter .. if you have the old parts you could match them up ... I bet 47 threw 53 will be the same ...

Last edited:
Nice I did not know the numbers where there. Here is a picture of my numbers. Let me know what it is and what year that would be great! Thanks!

ch.jpg does this make any sense to ya ? if Im reading it right it says 34 -40
if its a 1934 - 1940 .. you may have a problem finding parts for it ,, but the spring pad aint right for that .. so I must not be reading it right ..

My old buddy Dirtyrat give me this link so he may be able to read it for ya ...

Capture36c.jpg well well ,,, It could be ,,,,,I thought GM was like fords they had single spring in front ... guess not .. this is a 36 :D

obsolete chevy has some parts

Wow thanks for the help here yankee! Man o Man 36 to 40. I wonder how late of shoes and wheel cylinders will fit it? Looks like your picture for sure. I have 2 front ends and this one has the cool ribbed drums so I chose it. Hope I can dig up some shoes and wheel cylinders for it. If not I will be looking to change it over to disk I guess.

hope you can find you some parts obsolete showed shoes for a 36 for $55.
And I was like you I had no clue what I had and Dirtyrat helped me out ...

So is it CAR or TRUCK axle? Looks like several places have shoes but pretty pricey. Wheel cylinders could be one of 2 models. One style is $57.00 each the other is $94.00 each :eek: Man now I am at a bit of a cross road. I was told the other front axle I have has all new stuff inside. I will go pull the number on it and see if I can swap those parts to this axle and drums. I will go snap a picture of the part number on it and we can see if they will cross over. One sec.

hope you can find you some parts obsolete showed shoes for a 36 for $55.
And I was like you I had no clue what I had and Dirtyrat helped me out ...

Yes I was lost and did not even see that part number in the last 4 months working on this car I have not come across that. But now I know!!

OK here is my other axle. It has smooth drums not as cool as the ribbed but is supposed to have all new wheel cylinders and shoes in it. So I will pop it apart tomorrow and make sure. I hope it works out and these brakes and parts will fit in the 36 axle. This axle looks like 41-55 1/2 ton truck?

So is it CAR or TRUCK axle? Looks like several places have shoes but pretty pricey. Wheel cylinders could be one of 2 models. One style is $57.00 each the other is $94.00 each :eek: Man now I am at a bit of a cross road. I was told the other front axle I have has all new stuff inside. I will go pull the number on it and see if I can swap those parts to this axle and drums. I will go snap a picture of the part number on it and we can see if they will cross over. One sec.

I dont know what comm means on that chart , I would say truck because of 6 lug pattern

Think I've got one of those lying around the barn...

OK here is my other axle. It has smooth drums not as cool as the ribbed but is supposed to have all new wheel cylinders and shoes in it. So I will pop it apart tomorrow and make sure. I hope it works out and these brakes and parts will fit in the 36 axle. This axle looks like 41-55 1/2 ton truck?

51 truck....same numbers I believe....[S

front axle

i have a 58 chev truck chassis with front and rear axle a roller for a 1968 panel wagon going to put 67 front end on it 5oo cad 400 trans 9 inch ford finally have every thing gathered up to make it work also 1970 corvette10 inch and8 knock offs no lug nuts almost there how long is almost? robert thanks, would the numbers be on that axle ?

Latest posts

Back