over heating bumper to bumper

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exador

Being a grey beard 71yrs. I finally told my son to clean out my work shop and take all my tools home with him. To those who don`t understand I am, partially handicapped and can only stand for a minute or so. Walking is more difficult. But put my old fat ass on my batt scooter and I am good to go.

Cleaning out my shop we found a cooling device I made and used in the 50-60`s. This was made to help over heating in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic.

I went to junk yard and got two complete windshield washer sets up`s. The reservoirs were mounted wherever space allowed but close to front and radiator. I made mounting brackets for spray nozzles and positioned two on each side of the radiator. 4 nozzles total. Plumbed them, put push button switch, filled with water. When over heating in traffic push button for a few seconds and down went temp. Now if you got chrome engine to get you home this dirties up your shiny chrome. To me, easier to clean than to loose motor.

Friends and I used this for yrs. This may not be new to some, but maybe be helpful to those than do not know this trick.

A hot rod does not need be hot. Can be hot and cool.

Funny things is I did the same thing back in the 80s during my dirt track racing days. When car would start to overheat due to dirt on front air dam I would push a button and it would spray for 15 seconds and reset that way I would have to leave switch on or off. Worked great. Seems we have the same thought patterns.

I used a washer from another car , but i didnt use it the same way y'all did .... .. I turned the sprayer into a tube and it would shoot a stream of water 10 foot in front of my truck or on the trunk of your buddys car .. or wet some ole boy that walks in front of your truck .. we never got no body mad at us , but we sure did wet a lot of people with it ,, had a ton of fun with it ... We would hand pick out victims ..........[cl that way no one got mad

....I turned the sprayer into a tube and it would shoot a stream of water 10 foot in front of my truck or on the trunk of your buddys car .. or wet some ole boy that walks in front of your truck ......

Where I live we have a large school nearby, and these ignorant high school kids will walk out in front of you, dawdle across the road, looking at you of the corner of their eye, specifically to hack you off. I often planned to fit a system like yours, filled with dog ****, to discretely shoot at them at ankle level....

....of course, once they feel it and turn round I'll have stopped squirting. [cl

Nowadays, radiators are much more efficient. I planned on running A/C on a '52 Chevy with a SBC. I bought a U.S. direct fit radiator which was a 4 row, brass/copper, triple pass running a mechanical fan. With the radiator it had, which appeared stock, it would run at 210 degrees. After new radiator, it would run at 140 and 180 with the A/C and 100 degrees outside.

Latest posts

Back