ever seen? powers utility bed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedoh

my google search is not turning up any leads. This bed I am asking about has a tag that identifies it as a powers utility bodies bed.

I thought it was a ford bed at first, it has 48-52 ford rear fenders on it. it was cut into a truck bed trailer at some point. when I got it home though I realized it was on a 41-46 chevrolet frame and has a six lug 1/2 ton axle. it also has some weird looking coil overloads over the axle. looking inside the fenders, the ford fenders are only held on by a couple bolts and the pattern on the sides looks like 41-46 chevy fenders to me. there is a DUOLITE taillight/license plate bracket on the back, it looks to be an original install with the bracket inside and this style of light seems to be found on 32-41 ford commercial trucks.

has anyone seen anything like this? It doesnt look to be cobbled onto the chevy frame, it looks to be attached correctly. I bought it mostly because I have never seen another, and it looks to be in pretty good shape, the owner had purchased it the way it is over 40 years ago and used it as a feed trailer, there are some goobery welds he made on the doors but otherwise its solid.

any info at all appreciated, I cant find another that even looks remotely like it. very cool bed, I think a hotrod 41 chevy will look pretty neat with it.

IMG_3050_zpshnb0jjrf.jpg

IMG_3039_zpsqa5lmaeb.jpg

IMG_3030_zpsslf30d7h.jpg

IMG_3021.JPG-4_zps3i8zva17.jpeg

IMG_2785_zps70e9yjix.jpg

IMG_2783_zpssret4rzg.jpg

IMG_2694_zps3bhd87to.jpg

thanks for the links guys!

I have heard of powers mccabe utility beds before, I just havent ever seen one that uses the stock rear fenders of the donor. I am trying to pin down the year and original donor, it looks like it could be ford or chevy. ever seen another like this? its a shortbed and if the frame is the original it doesnt look to have a lot of load capacity like most utilities. maybe something for WWII? The ford taillight is really throwing me, everything else looks like later chevrolet.

I wouldn't worry about the tail light, it could have been added at some point. As to the frame and axle, it is probably GM, I don't recall Ford ever using 6 lug wheels. Ford used the Banjo style rearend and transverse single spring until the late 40's with 5 on 5" lug pattern. It is probably a 40's GM 1/2 ton, that would explain the extra coil "helper" springs.

I think the taillight is original, the insides of the side boxes are painted fawn and the paint is original, and the bracket and canvas wrap on the wire is painted with it. but it is a duolite, not a ford piece, even though ford used them pretty exclusively. I thought about pulling it and selling it because it is original equipment on 1932 ford cars, but after seeing it was original to the bed reconsidered. You are right though, could be a later overstock piece used after ford stopped using on production in the late 40s

those overload coils are weird looking too, its a time machine of period aftermarket stuff. The paint on the fenders is a 90% match to the rest of the bed but looks like a respray. Once I find out some history I may put some of the extra 41-46 fenders I have back on it.

I wouldn't worry about the tail light, it could have been added at some point. As to the frame and axle, it is probably GM, I don't recall Ford ever using 6 lug wheels. Ford used the Banjo style rearend and transverse single spring until the late 40's with 5 on 5" lug pattern. It is probably a 40's GM 1/2 ton, that would explain the extra coil "helper" springs.

actually 5 on 5.5

Latest posts

Back