Dino Oil shortage?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I have went to two different WalMarts lately to replenish my oil supply. I like to keep several quarts in case something needs one I don't have to run to the store every time. First one didn't have anything but synthetic, and I don't use that. Second one, I had to buy three different brands just to get 6 quarts of 10w40, and got all they had of each brand. What is going on with Dino oil? Is it being phased out, or just hard to get right now? I don't want to change my stuff over because I've heard synthetic will leak out in a motor that has been run on Dino oil a long time, and the price is over double of Dino oil. I mean, they didn't even have any gallons of Dino oil in any brand, and just the few quarts. Anybody else run into this, is it just Walmart, or other stores too?

I have went to two different WalMarts lately to replenish my oil supply. I like to keep several quarts in case something needs one I don't have to run to the store every time. First one didn't have anything but synthetic, and I don't use that. Second one, I had to buy three different brands just to get 6 quarts of 10w40, and got all they had of each brand. What is going on with Dino oil? Is it being phased out, or just hard to get right now? I don't want to change my stuff over because I've heard synthetic will leak out in a motor that has been run on Dino oil a long time, and the price is over double of Dino oil. I mean, they didn't even have any gallons of Dino oil in any brand, and just the few quarts. Anybody else run into this, is it just Walmart, or other stores too?

I haven't had to buy oil in a bit, but around here the sales on recreational equipment, classic cars, trailers, boats, rv's, etc., are through the roof. With Covid restrictions, everyone can't do their normal vacations or activities or spend time in the bar so they've been snapping up all the toys. I wonder if the increased demand in those items has resulted in the change in available oil supply you're seeing.

My understanding: With Covid, there was an overall lower demand for petroleum products, so production was down. Now they are playing catch up. And prices are up. Gotta' love it. Every time I fill my truck, it cost more.

The funny thing is you would think there would be plenty of gas and oil available. A lot of people were working from home and there was nowhere to go for quite awhile. [S

I have no idea. We're putting so few miles on our drivers these days, it might be a year (or more) before I need to buy any oil...

I was really wondering if it might just be WalMart. They have a habit of changing things all the time, so it might just be them.

State protected Russian hackers are having a bit of fun (and profit, I suspect) at our expense. Pipe line shut down. Trucks are mobilized, but won't be able to keep up. Rail tankers are on stand-by. Pipe line is supposed to be back on line in a week. If it hasn't cost us yet, you can bet it will. Especially the eastern states.

My tank is full of premium. Good for almost 700 miles.

Since they went woke I haven't shopped there and won't...

Don't have much choice around here. We do some at Dollar General, but they don't have the selection of products Wally World has. They have ran all the Mom and Pop stores out of business.

The Colonia pipeline is a different story. I've been off work a week, so I don't know how bad it's affecting diesel yet. May end up being off some this week if the supply gets too low and hard to get. I always keep enough in the tanks to get home no matter where I go!

Still hard to find dino oil at WalMart. Plenty of synthetic and synthetic blend. They don't even have any of their Tech brand in dino, it's all synthetic. Haven't been anywhere else to see how they are stocked yet, I don't get away from home much when I'm off, just go to Wally world for groceries and that's about it.

I'm getting mine at Oreilly and similar stores, about 4 bux, still cheaper than syn. I do 10/30 for changes, refill with 10/40.

I only do Wally for groceries and pet food.

And I do my best to stay away from woke.

I went to Canadian Tire (An automotive, hardware, sports, leisure and housewares retail chain store) on Saturday. As I've been resurrecting my vehicles from long-term storage, they're in need of oil changes. ALL Castrol conventional oil in the 5L jugs (what I often use) was on sale for 45% off. So I bought the 25L of oil I needed at a drastically reduced price. There was a ton of stock, even with the sales prices.

Latest posts

Back