A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya MM I know what you mean about HP & RPM. I converted a AC 3 wheel tractor I had into a vintage tractor puller for (sled pulling competition) that was an original 50hp @ 1600 rig into a 110hp @ 3100 and every pull I was just weighting for a rod to exit the side of the block. Slow & smooth is best for a good running inline 6. Great build your doing.[cl[P[cl

Thank you 28. I didn't want to have 100 horse in this tractor that has small back tires and not enough weight to pull anything more than what a 35 hp. tractor should pull. Anyhow, when a friend said that at 1500 revs, you won't have any more than 50 horse, I felt better. I'm not into competition, so won't be pulling the sled. Sometimes, I watch the sled pulls but more to see what concoctions the guys have made.

Today, was a town day, groceries and checking on my generator. My electrical guy has it ready, but wanted a pulley with a fan on it so I hunted through the sheds around here and found one. Also, I needed a matching voltage regulator as I'm running 12V, negative ground now. I've been collecting voltage regulators for a while, but can't tell which one is which. There was one that was right so I left it in town with the generator to get checked out together.
I got the clutch installed too. There were a couple of messy, time consuming things that happened. First, it's quite a bit harder to put an old Chrysler clutch in as you have to have the bellhousing on there before you put the flywheel on, so you have to fish the clutch up in from the bottom and align it while bolting it on, two bolts at a time. Second time eater was, some turkey hid the pressure plate bolts. I hunted all over that shop, and they were in the very last place I looked. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 6
"I hunted all over that shop, and they were in the very last place I looked."
Just because you found them doesn't mean you have to quit lookin [ddd

No OI, I had to quit looking, as I was getting 'hard to live with'. Even the shop cat went out through her little door and stayed outside.

I was walking past my cousins burnt welding truck when I spied a burnt alternator off his welder lying in the back of his old truck. Sure enough it had the right size pulley, belt groove and fan that I needed yesterday. Even though I found a couple of better ones, I still thought I should take this one off and have a spare. ------ Wrong Mistake. The alternator was really wrecked but the pulley looked OK, so I took it to the shop to pull it apart. I spent a couple of hours on it and bent the pulley and broke the fan off the back. The pulley was rusted onto that shaft, horribly. I ended up boring a 9/16" hole in the 5/8" shaft and then chiseling the thin wall of remaining shaft out before I could get the pulley off. The bit caught in the shaft once and tore the alternator out of my hand, so the bit snapped off. My 'free' pulley cost me a lot.

I got the throw-out bearing in and mounted the output shaft. First you have to put the throw-out bearing loosely in the bellhousing and then fish the actuating cross-shaft into place then get the throw-out bearing back into its spot then push in the output shaft. Here's a picture of it finished and the dustpan installed.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
I got my first virus shot today, and then visited with the guy that I sold/gave my tractor back tires and wheels to. He was looking for a set of used 28" tires to give to me as replacements, but hasn't found any, yet.
At home, I mounted up my newly fixed, cleaned, primed and painted generator. I had to make a sliding tightener arm to fit this unit, so it's done and in primer.
Remember when I told you that my nice tall, straight oil filler tube was going to be hidden under the hood, [pic one], well, I made a curved one and got a nice breather cap for it [pic two].

Attachments

• IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks OI. I got some more paint on things today but forgot to take pictures until suppertime, and I didn't want to be late for that. The tightener arm is on the generator now and bright red, but it's a wee bit rough so you'll just have to imagine it. I painted the front wheels yellow and dug out the new tires and tubes. The carburetor was plumbed for a combine and I had decided to turn it around so the air intake faced the back where the aircleaner will be. This puts the choke and throttle backwards. I got the choke turned around but the throttle is going to have to be engineered some more.

I painted clear over the yellow on my front wheels, today. I'm not a real fan of yellow, and this paint is borderline Blaaau. In a few weeks it would be the colour of a banana and that won't be tolerated.
This afternoon the missus and I went on a long drive to the edge of Alberta, to look at a Divco Milk truck that a friend and his son are redoing. I forgot to take a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 8
The younger fellow that is building the Divco truck, phoned today wanting to know if I had a 350 Chevy motor. Well, I told him that I had one, and that was one too many SBC's and that we could make a deal.

This turning a carburetor around is getting me down. I've made three different linkage arms now a broke them all. The last one can be resurrected, I think. In my stash of linkage rods was enough pieces to make nice linkage from the carb to the governor arm, so that's bent right and cleaned up and in primer.

The carb is done, I think, and the governor linkage is hooked up but it might end up being too short. The pictures are 'before' and 'after' to show that I really did turn the carb around, and not just whine about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 17
Here are the front tires mounted and mounted. I found enough wheel bolts, then cleaned, and primed them.
I dug out the gas tank and made a mounting stud for a missing one. Some time was spent staring at a dent in the top of the tank and wishing it would go away. That didn't work, so I'll have to come up with another plan. Maybe air pressure and rubber hammer.

Attachments

• IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
The yellow on those front rims looks pretty good now MM. Can you pull that dent with a suction cup? Be careful with air, you never know where it's going to distort - and it sure doesn't take much pressure.

Somebody is gonna ask why you put John Deere wheels on a MM.:rolleyes: You know it's coming!

I think they look good ! Might even paint my IH wheels yellow, but I just like yellow.....[ddd[ddd[ddd

Latest posts

Back