Snake Oil? Powerblast Plate

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

Has anyone heard of this before? https://thompsonperformance.com/

Surprisingly, I just stumbled upon it today. It's a little plate that spreads out the spray of your accelerator pump nozzles. I found postings on a number of other forums where people claim huge improvements in throttle response, the ability to jet way down, worse throttle response, or even a 13.6 hp gain on the dyno (from something that only affects the accelerator pump [S). It seems like maybe a snake-oil bandaid for a poor carburetor tune to me. For $40, they won't be getting my money.

Tperf_Home_Page_970x.jpg

PBP_on_Edel_600_Dyno_Test_770x.png

PBP_on_DP_Dyno_Test_2b064e9c-6bda-48c3-9d55-a70c298f9e18_770x.png

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/fuel-cooling-ignition-tech/thompson-performance-simple-bolt-on-proves-better-throttle-response/

Richard Holdener a guy who does lots of dyno testing on You Tube runs a chat on the same site. If he is on tonight I'll ask him. Might even get an answer. It does sound too good to be true since the accelerator pump only supplies fuel for a few seconds.

Richard Holdener a guy who does lots of dyno testing on You Tube runs a chat on the same site. If he is on tonight I'll ask him. Might even get an answer. It does sound too good to be true since the accelerator pump only supplies fuel for a few seconds.

Holdener is a wealth of knowledge, it would be really interesting to see if he has any thoughts on them.

Guys said it improved a low-end bog off the line on some forums, but that sounds more like an accelerator pump issue than a bandaid voodoo fix.

I remember some sort of screen that was sold by JC Whitney catalog years ago that kinda boasted the same results...better atomization of fuel! Never tried it...

Last edited:
What Bob said, the accelerator pump is just a squirt, not a sustained effect over the power curve. Results showing such a small improvement are easily achieved with fine tuning.
I say "Snake Oil"........

That's what I think too. If it was needed, I'm sure Holley or other carb manufacturers would have done it at some point. If you have such a giant bog off the line that you need this (as some guys that I saw on forums said they did before the plate), then you have an accelerator pump tuning issue in my mine.

Latest posts

Back