Buying donor vehicle...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrata

I'm buying my deceased father's old truck from my mother to use as a donor vehicle for my 33 Chevy in the state of Florida.

I don't have a title for the 33 chevy so I'll somehow need to apply for a title with just a bill of sale and the model number plate. There was no VIN in 33.

Question:
- I won't be insuring or driving the donor vehicle at all. It will just be disassembled and engine, etc used in the 33 chevy. How do I go about buying the donor? In Florida, it looks like you need proof of insurance to buy a vehicle.

First off that's a standup job on buying the vehicle from your mother [cl:cool:
Here in Missouri, you can transfer the title without insurance if you're not gonna license the vehicle. Check your DMV, I'd bet Florida is the same.
Can your mother gift you the vehicle instead of selling you the vehicle then just give her the money as a gift. This will avoid the sales taxes here in Missouri, maybe Florida too.
Buy minimal liability, get it home then let the insurance laps.
Just have here give you a bill of sale for the parts so you can show them when applying for the title on the 33.

There were no Vin's but there were serial numbers.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]The plate on the Fire wall Gives the Paint Color, Body style & Some ACCs.[/FONT]
Serial numbers on closed cars were on the right body sill under floor mat.
We use the serial numbers as the Vin here.

Florida uses what the original title used as an ID for the title. In 31, mine was issued title on the motor number. Florida re-issued a number based on my crate motor number. My original was a Kansas title, but Florida re-issues their own title and mine is still registered as a 31. Funny to me though...Ford Model A, registered with Chevrolet motor number..that ought to keep them thumbing their lips!!!
You can buy a vehicle in Florida without insurance, you just can't register it for the road unless you have the required minimum insurance.

When I buy one for parts, I just get a signed title but never bother putting it in my name, park it out back and pull off what I need.

Thanks all.

Florida reissuing the title as the donor engine title will be really weird if that happens.
I'm putting a 7.3 Ford turbo diesel in my '33 Chevy.

:D

As far as the VIN goes, my 33 had no floorboards or engine when I got it, so the serial number on those places doesn't exist. It just has the body style/number/paint code badge on the firewall. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Ok, if Chevy's were originally titled by their motor numbers(Ford was in Kansas in 1931), Then they will want to re-issue their title the same way. By using the numbers off the motor you put in it. However, I had a title and a bill of sale and the motor number issue still took them 3 days to stumble thru. If your vehicle was originally titled by the motor number, the first question they asked was if the motor is original...After laffing a minute, I shook my head no! That's ok that I had a different motor in it, They just needed some info on the affidavit that just generally doesn't come with a crate motor ordered thru a shop. Like mine was. They wanted the vin off the donor vehicle for the motor and I kept trying to explain that I had no idea what car they took the crate motor from...jeese, after getting the 3rd title clerk involved along with a supervisor, that super human trait of common sense finally won out and somebody signed my papers.

Latest posts

Back