Are comp cams XE cams still failing?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
I'm planning to do one last flat tappet cam motor, just because. Anybody heard recent stories of cams dying during break-in? Did they find a way to fix the problem? Thinking about XE262H, but don't want to waste money on something that has little chance of working.

I'm normally a white box cam kind of guy, but I looked on Summit and their cam and lifters prices jumped a fair amount. I found the comp cam on marketplace with comp springs for close to white box price.

Is it worth taking a chance?

Last edited:
After my last flat tappet cam failure (at least 15-20 yrs ago)... I'm a roller cam only guy! :eek:[ddd

BoB

I'm still planning on flat tappet for all my stuff. I'm not scared of them yet. Comp has new lifters with a DLC (Diamond-like coating) layer on them to protect from premature wear and failure.

I have tested those coatings in my previous employment, they're interesting stuff and should do what they claim.

I'm still planning on flat tappet for all my stuff. I'm not scared of them yet. Comp has new lifters with a DLC (Diamond-like coating) layer on them to protect from premature wear and failure.

I have tested those coatings in my previous employment, they're interesting stuff and should do what they claim.

I have had a few fail in the last couple years. Even with proper break in

I think my main prob with flat tappets is not using a rev limiter! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

I think a lot of cam problems are caused by extreme spring pressures they want you to run on some of them. More pressure, more wear.
Another thing is inferior offshore metals. While some of it is good, a lot of it is inferior and sold as better than it really is.

I’d rather take my chances with a older broken in flat tappet cam and matching set of lifters than new stuff.

Two months ago, a flat tappet I done, went south in about 20 minutes.
I've installed and broken in flat tappet cams since I was 16 years old. The failures are usually installation errors but that one was due to the machine shop installing the rear cam plug too deep which pushed the cam out the front 3/16" and misaligned the lobes to the bottom of the lifters.
Instead of installing another flat tappet I opted to go retro fit roller. This is actually when I found the plug to have been driven in too far and corrected that issue.
Since then, I installed a Comp Cams Mother Thumper and had no issues with it. Like you, I bought the cam kit.
Good luck!

The springs that came with this cam are stock diameter. This cam is pretty small, but right in the area where stock might start to not be enough. .466" lift? Comp says 1,300-5,600 rpm range.

I just hope it lives. These particular part numbers don't mention special coatings.

On that kit do you have to mill out the cups on the heads for any spring difference?

No, As long as the lift is .500 or under the factory springs will work but, the age of a spring could cause it to break so, I always install new ones.
Flipper, the cam I installed was the same 262, I prefer the xe268H cam tho

Years ago before I knew much about anything I had a 327 with a solid lifter set up. Might have been a 30 30. Remember those? Anyway, I got tired of having to adjust the valve lash all the time so, one night after work I pulled the Offy 360 intake and replaced all the lifters with anti pump up hydraulic lifters. I didn't change anything else. I set the lash to zero + a half turn and never looked back. Over the next few years I drove the heck out of that thing and never had any problems. I'd guess it was because of the oil and materials back then.

Latest posts

Back