Vintage paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hey there,
Well just about got my garage. Planning on body work for the winter months. Plenty to do, but thinking of a vintage looking paint job come spring time.Any thoughts? Would like to make it look like the paint was shot in the 50s or early 60s. Nothing too shiney.Still keeping the ratrod vibe.
Btw, all i have got at the moment is a traditional spray gun. Any ideas on what i should get for a compressor? The gun requirements are 6 scfm @ 40 psi average.harbor freight?
cost is a consideration, but it should be something that will last awile.
Thanks for any ideas, or what worked for you.
Russ

I shoot a lot of single stage. If you color sand and rub it kind of looks like laquer.
These boat motors were shot with single stage.They were not rubbed.
Can't help you with the non shiny part. Unless you shoot a flatted clear over it.
As far as compresser go. Get the biggest one you can afford. Even just using a spray gun will tax a cheap one. And drive you crazy.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 40
On Compressor it depends on a few things.

What is your garage wired for?
If 220 then buy a big one.
If 110 what amp fuse and wire are servicing the garage?
If 15 AMP your screwed at getting a decent 110 volt one.
If 20 amp 110 volt you can get by with the littlle amount you want to do with a Craftsman. 30 gallon 5 or 6 HP that runs on 110 volt 20 amp service.

I do not like sanding to remove sheen on a paint job....looks like you sanded.

Play around with some flattener. Adding a little bit per mixed gun of paint.

Lungs

Latest posts

Back