filler technique

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hey
i was watching fast and loud the other night, and noticed that it appears that they cover ALL body panel surfaces with body filler. This is not the first time I've noticed this. A good friend of mine tells me that he's seen this technique and says all the high end builders do the same thing. Could this be or is it true? I always thought using the minimum amount of filler is the way to go.
Russ

Yes this is common practice for getting that lazer straight paint job. I do this in my shop as well. The only thing I've noticed that these shops don't do first is to coat the bare steal with a coat of epoxy primer first. I do this because coating the body with filler straight over the bare steel can cause a fine layer of moister to be trapped under the filler which begins the rusting process right away. I know this technique works because I have 30 year old body jobs out there with no issues.

Especially when painting over new or bare metal I always use a skim coat. I've painted a lot of bikes , and a lot of new fuel tanks and such. You ,as a rule have to skim coat because of machine marks and the like. Older sheet metal is the same. It can also have marks that come from the factory from the manufacturing process. Also, it is not regular bondo filler. The stuff I use is about $35 a tube , and is very fine. Ask your local paint supplier , they will hook you up.

Im not a body man so im not sure what the experts use but I found this to be wonderful.

BAGDOL-1%20Dolphin%20Bag%20440ml.jpg

Good tech I have new knowledge of the micro filler in the tube, does it spiral mix coming out? I leaned into the rat persona so I wouldn't be tempted to wax/polish my junk. Next would be welding up the bullit holes. NO!!!

POR 15 when you need to thoughen up areas for safety.

I vowed no filler and use Derusto applied with a foam roller.

My direction I'm heading is "Road Warrior" cause this movie set my 20s and modern zombie hunter add one.

If I'm steeling this thread move my post to it's own thread.

Don

I've watched shows like Overhaulin' where they put a ton of filler all over the car and then sand most of it back off. On one show, Chip had so much filler he was putting on he used a long flat piece of wood or something to squeegy it across the whole panel. They must buy that stuff by the 55 gallon drum ! :eek:

But most of it ends up on the shop floor, because if you see the same car before it goes in for primer there is very little of it left.

Don

dolphin glaze is the cats meow in oklahoma, lol alot of people use a high build spray body filler, just have to watch out on the mixing and the age of the stuff, i shot a roof with it and a week later scraped it off... lol everything i sandblast for my customers and my self gets a epoxy prime on it first, it bites in to the bare steel and readys it for filler and primer. also seems like every time someone is in a shop and see a fresh blasted body they have to touch...

Latest posts

Back