My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I have a bit of a drafting background, I don't go through the steps that zz does. Although I highly recommend it.[cl
Basically, when I'm building one car, ideas formulate in my head regarding the design of the next one. That, along with hot rods I see and wish to copy some features from, make up the plan. Another factor is I try to use parts and pieces that have accumulated around here. I don't know where they come from.:D

Couper, go to my build thread of 37 dodge pu. Mike at Cornfield Customs built
it
a few years ago. Sounds like you want to build something similar.
pages 2 thru 6 shows how Mike built it. Hope it helps you.

Thanks for all that info ZZ. I had tp read that several times but now it's very clear and sounds like a very cool way to go about it. I much prefer the chalk on the floor than the drawing to scale. I'm big on templates and mock ups so full size fit's my brain better. I don't have any of the drive train components yet so I have to get those in hand first so I know what I'm dealing with. I need to get a rear end and a front end. I'm going to ask Bruno if he would share the rear end info and front end model number. I have a total cost involved catalog here and the list front ends for Chevy's & Fords but no Dodges. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Thanks again ZZ. I hope I'm not going to make too much of a PIA of myself.

Couper

Couper, go to my build thread of 37 dodge pu. Mike at Cornfield Customs built
it
a few years ago. Sounds like you want to build something similar.
pages 2 thru 6 shows how Mike built it. Hope it helps you.

Hi Bruno,

I've been looking at your thread since I joined here.....have most of your pictures loaded on my hard drive. The pictures are going to be a big help once I get started. I had some interest in buying your project but I want to build my own frame and the straight 8 engine is not the way I want t go. I'd like a V8 with a blower, maybe a vintage HEMI.... if I can find one I can afford. If you would be so kind as to share some info with me it would allow me to get off on the right foot. If you could tell me where you bought the front end suspension parts, an order number would be great. Maybe I can reference your order to get the right components. Info on the rear would be great as well.

Thanks much Bruno
Couper

I got the axle, brakes, ford spindles, leaf spring and hairpins from speedway. The batwings came from Total Performance, they were bought out by Speedway.
Rear leaf spring set up also came from TP. Was their pro street rear suspension.
If you are going with air ride you will probably need a 4 bar or some such rear suspension. You are on you own for the front air ride.
If you need part #s it will take me awhile to go through my receipts. I did not buy a kit from speedway i pieced my front end together.

I got the axle, brakes, ford spindles, leaf spring and hairpins from speedway. The batwings came from Total Performance, they were bought out by Speedway.
Rear leaf spring set up also came from TP. Was their pro street rear suspension.
If you are going with air ride you will probably need a 4 bar or some such rear suspension. You are on you own for the front air ride.
If you need part #s it will take me awhile to go through my receipts. I did not buy a kit from speedway i pieced my front end together.

Bruno....Don't break your tail yet. I'm gona call speed way. If I need you to look it up, I will send you a donation to your beer, rubber or cigar can :D
Couper

Yes, they are both rebuildable.
They will need bored and new pistons, as does most all those old engines.
I can put them on skids and load onto a trailer or truck.

Question..... and a question about my question. LOL I'll have a bunch of frame & suspension questions. Do I post them here or in the suspension forum?

I'm gona go with a front end like Bruno's....single side by side leaf spring. Is this spring as is supposed to be my lowered ride height and I throw a airbag to bring her up for the road? Or do I loose the leaf spring and go with 2 air bags that will give me a ride height & lowered parked height?

Thanks
Couper

If you want to bag the front, you may come up with something like this.

Attachments

• dec 5 09 rat 55 006 a.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 006 a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 41
  • dec 5 09 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
Geeze Bruno.... I just looked thru your links, you've built a lot of stuff. I see some have the front end out in front of the frame versus the bobber that has the front end back 18" or so. May I ask what the difference is?

Haven't spent much time thinking about the frame and the guy from speedway is dragging his heals. I've been concentrating on finishing her up for primer and a guide coat and got four coats of high build 4CR 2K Epoxy on her last night. Soooo excited to see her in primer. I'll let her sit for a few weeks then start guide coat blocking her.

I'm going to order 2 lengths of 2x4 3/16 and get my frame table cranking

Some shots of her new under ware :eek:)

Attachments

• DSCF5158.jpg
    DSCF5158.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF5159.jpg
    DSCF5159.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF5161.jpg
    DSCF5161.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF5163.jpg
    DSCF5163.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF5164.jpg
    DSCF5164.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20
BTW.....this is a color I'm really digging. With my own signage. My last name is Nichols so I was thinking about Nichols Garage with a Buffalo Nickle in the middle of the door. Whatda think?

Attachments

• 22bdb86708361aa9c03a72d85ec932c5.jpg
    22bdb86708361aa9c03a72d85ec932c5.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back