241 Baby Hemi!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I've had this baby Hemi in the queue for quite a while & now that I'm finished with my Dodge I'm gonna get this 241 started & sell it to buy a MII clip for my Ranchero. I bought it from a guy who took it out of a '54 Dodge to put in a SBC... go figure! It was "running when parked"... haha & was running when I bought it so it shouldn't bee too hard to get it going again! Gonna require a fuel pump & carb rebuild but that ain't nothin'!

Never owned a Hemi before & had a question to any of you Hemi kats! I was trying to take the valve covers off & don't know how to remove the inserts where the spark plugs go! Any help would be appreciated!

BoB

Attachments

• 241.jpg
    241.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 32
  • covers.jpg
    covers.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 25
The Doc is right, again. Those tubes are thin and hard to find.
On an aside, Tripper, I have saved a few belhousings that will fit a pre '62 Mopar V-8 but they bolt up to a 435 New Process truck four speed.

Tripper, I'm pretty sure that once you have the wire 'rail cover' off and the spark plugs out, you should be able to just pull the tubes out of there.

That was it... thanks again!

Mac's right, spark plugs first and be careful not to damage the tubes. I hear they're getting hard to find.

After MM's heads up I was really careful with them!

I know of a Dodge that would fit nicely around that Hemi......:eek: :p [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Come on down to Tejas!!! [ddd

BoB

When I was looking for tubes for a Baby Hemi [270] a few years ago, Hot Heads said they had no more and the company that made them had shut down. I ended up robbing my 354 Hemi and they were the same length, although there are different lengths, I guess.
Thank you, Snopro for finding an alternate source. I've written that down for the future.

Now that the coupe is gone I've been working on getting the Baby Hemi started. Drained the old oil & filled it back up, new rebuilt carb, new rebuilt fuel pump & took the 6V battery outta my 8N tractor. Pulled the spark plugs & valve covers off & turned the motor over enough to get the rockers to finally start oiling. I've always been lucky enough to get that done just turning the motor over with the starter instead of yanking the dizzy & using a oil pump priming rod. Got a gas line run but still have to hook up a solenoid. It has spark so I plan on getting it running in the next couple of days as soon as I can get an oil pressure gauge hooked up! Probably paint it up a lil & sell it to get the $$$ for the MII front clip for the Ranchero! I will be video taping the resurrection!

BoB

I was having trouble getting the Baby started, had gas & air but not much spark so I ordered all the ignition parts from Rock Auto & finally have them in-house! Everything except the points, it's a dual points dizzy. Found a set at O’Reilly's so hope to get it up & running again shortly! Fingers crossed!

BoB

Good luck!
In the middle of the last century I helped a friend put a 241 in a '32 Ford tudoor. Really looked good in there.

Red letter day! I've been struggling getting my Baby Hemi started & was really starting to wonder if I had lost my Mojo... but today... it all came together! Been a PITA finding the correct dizzy rotor. Finally got the right one but that sucker was over $20... dang!!! For some reason my carb was not cooperating so I resorted to pouring gas in using a bottle. Figured out where #1 was on the dizzy, got it wired up, poured in a little gas, hit the switch & it came to life & it didn't even smoke after 10-12 year sitting in the queue! Gastrick told me to use an in-line restrictor so that's next up! It impossible to make a vid to keep it running using a gas bottle, turning the key & holding my phone so when I get the gas flowing I'll make a vid! Happy daze!!!

BoB

Latest posts

Back