Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only Packard Gasser I ever saw was Dave Koeffel's later model E/G car. I believe it won the Nationals at Indy more that once. zz, you will have a one of a kind.

Attachments

• 8-Dave__Susie_Koffels's_Flintstone_Flyer_E-Gas_Packard[1].jpg
    8-Dave__Susie_Koffels's_Flintstone_Flyer_E-Gas_Packard[1].jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 34
Yesssssssssssss! The cat is out of the bag! I can't wait to see what this uninhibited and borderline childish build looks like! :p:D:D:D An 871 I think is on every hot rodders dream list, this is going to be super awesome to see.

I was confused for a moment, thinking leaf springs go in the rear and wondering why you wanted it to sit so low in the front. Now I get it :D It's definitely a Monday.

Yeah, I was going to wait 'till spring to reveal this one, but with the parts piling up and the other one pretty much done, I just got too twitchy and couldn't help myself :rolleyes:
I wouldn't normally splurge on such a bunch of expensive parts but I sold my Motorhome that had never left the yard, an unfulfilled dream of sorts... I call this 'redirecting my investment strategies' :cool:
Gassers and 60's show rods were the type of models I built as a kid and the local street heros drove 60's to early 70's drag influenced cars, so the style is permanently burned into my brain. So now I'm giving in to the voices in my head and doing what they tell me [ddd[ddd
Ha, if my workshop is my man cave, are the soapstone drawings cave paintings?:D I always start this way, a full scale drawing on the floor, easy to figure out where things go and how it will look and make changes before ever cutting any metal.

The only Packard Gasser I ever saw was Dave Koeffel's later model E/G car. I believe it won the Nationals at Indy more that once. zz, you will have a one of a kind.
Yes, I've seen that one before, he was a brave man to take one of those 'bathtub' Packards and make a race car out of it. I do like to blaze my own trail and work on the unusual or less common cars, much like you do.:)

Please don't make it one of those freaks with the front way higher than the back! I like the level look like the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys and Ohio George's 34 Willys. Higher, but level.

I see it bright blue, just like SWC....[ddd[ddd[ddd:D:D:D

Please don't make it one of those freaks with the front way higher than the back! I like the level look like the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys and Ohio George's 34 Willys. Higher, but level.

I see it bright blue, just like SWC....[ddd[ddd[ddd:D:D:D

I guess it depends on which version of the SWC car(s) you prefer, many had the nose up stance. This 'aint a Willys, but I want it to fall somewhere in between, I don't want a step ladder to get in it :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 5c81310070f3f_65S-W-C.jpg.4c12d3b5720735e45e58463d023df783.jpg
    5c81310070f3f_65S-W-C.jpg.4c12d3b5720735e45e58463d023df783.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 26
  • swindler-a.jpg
    swindler-a.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 22
  • swc5.jpg
    swc5.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-STONE-WOODS-COOK-1941-WILLYS-GASSER-NHRA-DRAG-RACING-MOST-POPULAR-BLOWN-SWINDLER-jpg-600x385.jpg
    2-STONE-WOODS-COOK-1941-WILLYS-GASSER-NHRA-DRAG-RACING-MOST-POPULAR-BLOWN-SWINDLER-jpg-600x385.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 28
Yeah, I was going to wait 'till spring to reveal this one, but with the parts piling up and the other one pretty much done, I just got too twitchy and couldn't help myself :rolleyes:
I wouldn't normally splurge on such a bunch of expensive parts but I sold my Motorhome that had never left the yard, an unfulfilled dream of sorts... I call this 'redirecting my investment strategies' :cool:
Gassers and 60's show rods were the type of models I built as a kid and the local street heros drove 60's to early 70's drag influenced cars, so the style is permanently burned into my brain. So now I'm giving in to the voices in my head and doing what they tell me [ddd[ddd
Ha, if my workshop is my man cave, are the soapstone drawings cave paintings?:D I always start this way, a full scale drawing on the floor, easy to figure out where things go and how it will look and make changes before ever cutting any metal.

At least if you spend money on good parts, you usually don't have to do it twice!

I like the slightly nose up stance on a gasser-style car. I am definitely on board with calling those cave paintings! I wish my builds were that well planned. My Model A is half-built in my head, but I never scratch anything down anywhere.

I can't wait to see how this turns out, I bet it will be spectacular!

I guess it depends on which version of the SWC car(s) you prefer, many had the nose up stance. This 'aint a Willys, but I want it to fall somewhere in between, I don't want a step ladder to get in it :rolleyes:

That last blue one is purt near perfect. A little nose up is ok, but a lot of guys go extreme and are looking up in the trees all the time, lol!

However you decide, I’m sure it will turn out great.

That last blue one is purt near perfect. A little nose up is ok, but a lot of guys go extreme and are looking up in the trees all the time, lol!

However you decide, I’m sure it will turn out great.

I hear ya, I want to be able to go around a corner without tipping over. :eek:
I agree about those over the top nose bleed cars, they're goofy to me. That lower version of the SWC car is one of the latter day ones, maybe even a recreation. There was a reason in the beginning for the nose up stance - tires were not as good as now and raising the front was to help with weight transfer to try to get the tires to hook up. Aerodynamics was secondary to getting a good launch. As tires got better the nose got lower and MPH increased, handling got better with less of a tendency to get airborne through the traps....

Another puzzle piece came today, Gear Vendors Overdrive unit to add onto the Turbo 400 to make it more livable on the road with the 4.88 rear gear.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3440.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 107
The 4 link kit I got is nice and beefy with 1 1/2" tubes and large poly bushings that are greaseable but the link bars were kinda long at 26", so I cut off the bungs and shortened them to 20". The axle mounts that came with the kit are now notched to fit the crossmember and I added some more adjustment holes. Had a local shop laser cut some new axle mounts (which I'll have to cut and weld back together to fit the axle tubes). I'll weld a plate to the back of them to mount the coil overs. The frame shape is evolving as you can tell by the
scrubbed and re-drawn outlines - chaulk is cheap........

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
    IMG_3441.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 85
Doesn't matter anymore if you meet the rules of any gasser era. There are several "Gasser" associations around the country. Each has its own rules. The Southeast Gasser group runs to the 1967 rule book. But they don't require a level rocker panel. In fact, "Nose up" is desirable. The Ohio Outlaw Gassers require a nose up attitude.
If I'm not mistaken the upper classes of Gassers that run the NHRA Heritage series have fiberglass/carbon bodies and tube chassis.
For the street, pick the gasser style you like.
I dug this 1967 pic out of Jim and my '33 Willys gasser. I was surprised to see it sits "rocker level". Didn't even know it was a rule then, but it was. Kudos to Doc for knowing that. BTW, we had to run Altered class because it wasn't finished to Gasser requirements.
Incidentally, when "Gassers" evolved (devolved) into pure race cars and no longer were street legal vehicles, the Modified Production class was invented. Doc might have some interesting insights about that.
Sorry to get so long winded on your thread. But you know you have to indulge us old people.

Attachments

• 33 Willys 001.jpg
    33 Willys 001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
ZZ, I like the way your mind works. You say that if I think my creation is a 'ratrod' then it's a ratrod in my mind.
I guess, though, we have to accept onlookers thoughts that differ from ours. Sometimes someone else will say "that's not a ratrod, it's a low end streetrod". Or "that's not a 'gasser', that's an 'altered'". It's all in their minds.
People are funny, sometimes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back