A Hupmobile ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had some more fun lately. The motor mounts are in but not completely welded. Will put a crossmember from mount to mount, under the oil pan. Those cantilever mounts cause the frame rails to twist a titch.

I'm using materials I have and that is why the trans crossmember is made out of 2" channel iron.

I got lucky with the rear shock mounting. The last hole in the trailing arms works out for the lower mount. The shocks will be mounted with the forward pitch you see in the pic. This is like the stock mounting position that my '40 Plymouth had. It softens the ride.

Attachments

• Hup Update 002.jpg
    Hup Update 002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Hup Update 003.jpg
    Hup Update 003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Hup Update 004.jpg
    Hup Update 004.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Hup Update 005.jpg
    Hup Update 005.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Hup Update 006.jpg
    Hup Update 006.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Hup Update 007.jpg
    Hup Update 007.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Hup Update 001.jpg
    Hup Update 001.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 41
It is quite cold today so I left Mama's mini van in the garage. That limited my access to the frame. Coulda done some welding otherwise. Had to content myself with making brackets and stuff with my trusty angle grinder and a cut off wheel. Made the mounting brackets for the panhard bar out of 2" by 4" rectangular tubing with a 3/16" wall. Cut some triangles out to strengthen the upper coil spring mounts. And lastly started on the crossmember under the motor mounts.

Attachments

• Pan Hard 003.jpg
    Pan Hard 003.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Pan Hard 002.jpg
    Pan Hard 002.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Pan Hard 001.jpg
    Pan Hard 001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 23
Bob, I meant to tell you about our learning experience with no cross-member between the motor mounts. My brother and I put a 396 in a '56 Ford truck when we were kids. We just made the mounts to the frame like you first did. That torquey old BBC twisted both frame rails quite a bit every time we accelerated. There was a homemade floor shifter on it that moved over an inch and a half a lot of times.
Anyhow, I'm glad you wanted to make a crossmember to tie the frame rails together. Keep up the good work.

If I make motor mounts that sit on the top of the frame a crosmember isn't as necessary. Cantilever mounts like these are tend to spread and twist the frame.

Dumped the body back on the frame. The radiator shell is a little overpowering. Made a couple simple body mounts and have started framing the floor with 1" square tubing.

Attachments

• body back on 001.jpg
    body back on 001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 27
  • body back on 002.jpg
    body back on 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 23
I don't find that rad shell too overpowering Bob, as long as it's low enough to match the slope from the cowl. I know it's hard to get them low enough sometimes but it sure spoils things (in my mind) when the rad shell is too high.

I believe I'm in good company agreeing with Bill and Kenny. Where you're at now makes me think of a more traditional hot rod look. Apologies if I missed it (or read and forgot LOL) what you are going for looks wise with this one? :eek:

Well, for better or worse, the radiator and shell are mounted. Looks okay to me and is lower than the cowl.
Interesting story on the radiator. It came out of the '29 Chrysler Tub I sold maybe 8 years ago. Recently the guy made some changes to the car and thought enough of me to return the radiator and Coker tires to me. See, when you give people a good deal they think of you.

The shell will need some sort of expanded metal in the front.

Attachments

• More Shell 001.jpg
    More Shell 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 31
  • More Shell 002.jpg
    More Shell 002.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 29
Old Stuff, I'm kinda going for the "barn find" look. But mainly I'm using parts that I have. Burning up the inventory, so to speak. First pic is close to my vision. High boy.

Made the toe board frame and toe board. Got some other floor framing done. Then the angle grinder/cut off wheel got in the way of where my thumb wanted to be.

Attachments

• IMG_0887[1].jpg
    IMG_0887[1].jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Toe Board 001.jpg
    Toe Board 001.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Toe Board 003.jpg
    Toe Board 003.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Toe Board 004.jpg
    Toe Board 004.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 17
Killer look that will be- and nothing more rewarding than using up stuff you have.

That angle grinder is a tool with a love/hate relationship for sure. At least we can still see your fingernail! :p Glad it wasn't worse!

Latest posts

Back