Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
attachment.php
Here I go again, the last one isn't even out the door but I've been collecting parts and making plans for another 37 Packard coupe. The pics of the body are 4 yrs old so it may look worse by now, sitting in a drippy shed, you can see the body of the one I just finished sitting in front of it before it came to me. I won't be able to bring it home 'till the spring when I come back from Yuma and the Yellow one goes to its home, a swaperoo.
With all this talk of electric cars, climate crisis, doom and gloom, it seems appropriate to me to just throw caution to the wind and thumb my nose at the restoration purists and leaf lickers to make a totally self indulgent, useless statement of defiance. :D:D[ddd
I'm going to break with my usual shiny car habit and leave this one unpainted, any repaired or modified body parts will get blended to match the patina of the main body. Well, I will paint the frame and drivetrain, but that's it, I swear. :rolleyes: For power I have a crusty 1976 motorhome 454 with only 60,000 miles that will be getting a thorough going over. Rear end is a custom built 9" with a Strange nodular carrier, 4.88 Wavetrac posi and 35 spline Dutchman axles, disc brakes. Front end is a Pete & Jakes Newstalgia Gasser unit. A lot more expensive than the Speedway one but way better quality, all US made, uses a bunch of Superbell pieces plus it has Ford tie rod ends instead of Heim joints, comes with shocks and mounts, steering box, drag link, etc., a very good complete kit. The "wind" part of its title will be courtesy of a BDS 871 sitting on the shelf in my parts pile. Tranny is a good 'ol Turbo 400 with 3200 stall converter and a Gear Vendors OD unit to make it more street friendly. Tires and wheels are on the way, held up in production like a lot of things these days, American TTO 5 spokes, 4x15 an 12x15, M&H cheater slicks go in back. Stay tuned :cool:

IMG]http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=169187&d=1636249925[/IMG]
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01310.jpg
    DSC01310.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC01308.jpg
    DSC01308.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3406.JPG
    IMG_3406.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 228
  • 65722978098__0CF7D7F8-C67E-424A-BA3C-D4A6C1453664.JPG
    65722978098__0CF7D7F8-C67E-424A-BA3C-D4A6C1453664.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 231
Great news, zz. This will be the best build yet. At least more fun to drive. Maybe not testing your skills too seriously. You've been collecting some quality parts there. Think you can get it done in a year?

Great news, zz. This will be the best build yet. At least more fun to drive. Maybe not testing your skills too seriously. You've been collecting some quality parts there. Think you can get it done in a year?
I'm really looking forward to it to get my Ya Ya's out and burn some rubber :) The fenders are a little rough but that's expected, the biggest issue is the missing trunk lid. Guess I'll need to upgrade my metal working skills and maybe get a English wheel for that one. Another lid is next to impossible to find - as rare as, well, Packard parts:( While the other car is here, I'll make a buck from its lid so I know the shape I need to make. Done in a year? You never know, I do have more time on my hands now and taking shiny bodywork out of the equation really cuts build time down. It would be nice to bang it out (literally) and take it to Yuma with me in winter 2022-23 but maybe I'm dreaming on that one....

I'll be watching as well. Do you have to go south? I'd rather you stay and entertain us this winter!!!
Yeah, now that the border is re-opening tomorrow to drive down I have to look after our place in Yuma. Haven't been able to go there since spring of 2019 due to my wife's health issues and then Covid. Need to breath some desert air and sit under a palm tree for a while to get my head straight over my new reality. Come April, sparks will fly :D

Can ya show us what a Coupe magnet looks like? This'll be a cool build again!

Ha, Ha, I guess that would be the owner of the other one. This body has been in his barn since the 70's when I worked for him and me getting it was a bonus part of the deal to build the other coupe for him, sort of a carrot on a stick for this 'ol Donkey.

You know we are all going to be watching this.😎😎😎
Take care of yourself , ZZ.
Go south. Recharge. Clear your head.
We will be here when you get back.
Torchie

Chaulk marks on the floor means ideas are in motion :cool:
I have a bunch of steel on my rack already, just need to get some 2x4 for the main rails this week, might as well get a start on it :)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3433.JPG
    IMG_3433.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3439.JPG
    IMG_3439.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 82
I'm really looking forward to it to get my Ya Ya's out and burn some rubber :) The fenders are a little rough but that's expected, the biggest issue is the missing trunk lid. Guess I'll need to upgrade my metal working skills and maybe get a English wheel for that one. Another lid is next to impossible to find - as rare as, well, Packard parts:( While the other car is here, I'll make a buck from its lid so I know the shape I need to make. Done in a year? You never know, I do have more time on my hands now and taking shiny bodywork out of the equation really cuts build time down. It would be nice to bang it out (literally) and take it to Yuma with me in winter 2022-23 but maybe I'm dreaming on that one....

Yeah, now that the border is re-opening tomorrow to drive down I have to look after our place in Yuma. Haven't been able to go there since spring of 2019 due to my wife's health issues and then Covid. Need to breath some desert air and sit under a palm tree for a while to get my head straight over my new reality. Come April, sparks will fly :D

Yesssssssssssss! The cat is out of the bag! I can't wait to see what this uninhibited and borderline childish build looks like! :p:D:D:D An 871 I think is on every hot rodders dream list, this is going to be super awesome to see.

I hope you get the clarity and reset that you need down in Yuma. Some friends of mine are heading down to their places in Mesa shortly to start on all the maintenance and work they haven't been able to do in the last year and a half.

Chaulk marks on the floor means ideas are in motion :cool:
I have a bunch of steel on my rack already, just need to get some 2x4 for the main rails this week, might as well get a start on it :)

attachment.php
attachment.php

I was confused for a moment, thinking leaf springs go in the rear and wondering why you wanted it to sit so low in the front. Now I get it :D It's definitely a Monday...

Latest posts

Back