Header Collector Welding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couper

RRR Supportor
Still not ready to hit the garage yet but thinking about the welder build. I did get the flanges with the stubs already welded on and received the BBC patriot header kit. I trimed up some 1.5" pvc so it slips into the 2" tubing so I can mock things up. I also sanded down the ends on 8 45 degree pvc ells for mock up as well. Did this before I got sick.

I've watched a few videos ob welding the collectors on by welding the inside of the tubes together with a star like filler for the center but still having some trouble wrapping my brain around that.

If anyone has a good video on that please do share it with me.

Thanks guys

I don't have a video, but once you have all four tubes in position use a large hose clamp (maybe a couple joined together) wrapped around the collector end of the tubes to hold them. Mark all the tubes and trim so they are all the same length. In the center of the four tubes there will be a diamond shaped opening, Shape a piece of heavy sheet steel 14-16 gauge to fit the diamond opening, weld it in position when to get to the point in each of the four sides of the diamond continue the weld out on the tubes as far past center towards the outside as possible. When you fit the reducer on it be a tight fit around the tubes with a possible small gap between the tubes. I weld the reducer around the four tubes then using a piece of round stock flat on the outside of the reducer tap it in to meet the welds you did on the diamond.

[/QUOTE]then using a piece of round stock flat on the outside of the reducer tap it in to meet the welds you did on the diamond.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Glen..... I'm not sure what you men by that last line.

I have found the reducers have to be hammered in between the tubes for better weld and shape. So to avoid hammer marks on the reducers I lay a short piece of say 1/2 inch rod on the reducer parallel to and centerd between the header tubes then tap on the rod to take the reducer down into the space between the tubes on all four sides. It's tough to explain.

I have found the reducers have to be hammered in between the tubes for better weld and shape. So to avoid hammer marks on the reducers I lay a short piece of say 1/2 inch rod on the reducer parallel to and centerd between the header tubes then tap on the rod to take the reducer down into the space between the tubes on all four sides. It's tough to explain.

I got it.... so we are persuading the collector onto the straights.

I just took a look and I'm going to make some elbows somewhere between 22 1/2 and 45 degrees so I order 4 bends from the company that made the kit. 2-U bends with 3" radius and 2 with 4" radius.....cheap enough. I'm apprehensive but we'll see.

Thanks for the help!

This in bed **** is for the birds!!!!!

Found this on line and decided to buy one to help with cutting my pie angles....cheap enough at 30 bucks

https://vimeo.com/227483790

The also had these pieces for fabbing the star bullet that goes into the collector... also cheap 28 bucks.

https://vimeo.com/227457002

Thinking I will make one of these as well.....attached

Attachments

• ubjig2-1.jpg
    ubjig2-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 24
  • ubjig3-1.jpg
    ubjig3-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 25
I don't have a video, but once you have all four tubes in position use a large hose clamp (maybe a couple joined together) wrapped around the collector end of the tubes to hold them. Mark all the tubes and trim so they are all the same length. In the center of the four tubes there will be a diamond shaped opening, Shape a piece of heavy sheet steel 14-16 gauge to fit the diamond opening, weld it in position when to get to the point in each of the four sides of the diamond continue the weld out on the tubes as far past center towards the outside as possible. When you fit the reducer on it be a tight fit around the tubes with a possible small gap between the tubes. I weld the reducer around the four tubes then using a piece of round stock flat on the outside of the reducer tap it in to meet the welds you did on the diamond.

Dozer....I have a question for you. The headers are all tacked up and I getting ready to prepare the "star" pieces. I bought these 4 piece bullet cones https://vimeo.com/227457002 for welding into that star area. Do I need both the star and that bullet piece? The more I think about it I'm sure I don't need both, the bullet will be fully seal welded and will be stronger than a "star" but check double checking

Attachments

• Bullet.PNG
    Bullet.PNG
    132.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Another question on this. My primaries are 2" and the collector outlet is 3.5".

I have a cab mount obstruction and am looking to see how small I can safely reduce that outlet without choking the motor? It's a 331 hemi with 2 x 4 intake manifold.

I was thinking of using a reduce collector but maybe I should use the 3.5 so I'm safe, and reduce from there. I think 3" would work....2.5 would be better. This is for 40" or so under the cab to the tie in to the stacks. I'd like to use 3.5 or 4" stacks.

Thanks

Those star shaped bullets are to help with flow, new technology. I have built a lot of headers and never used them. You can safely reduce to 2.5" I'd without a problem. A little back pressure is good for a street engine.

Latest posts

Back