Cub Cadet 2182

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

While it's not nearly as old as some of Mac's gems, this is my new-to-me acreage tractor that I'll be bringing back to a better state of maintenance and aesthetic condition.

This little sucker has a 3-cylinder 600cc Kubota gas engine that runs smooth like butter.

The Kwik-Way loader had been sitting in the elements for quite a few years, so I've started to paint and clean it up. We put it on and it definitely needs the wheel weights if you load the bucket or like traction. It's probably a little over 1,200 lb as it sits.

I've also got a snowblower and mower deck with bagger for it. This will mostly be used for yard duty and snow duty, I'm unlikely to use the mower deck much.

It has already been fun to use and play with.

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_211530_01.jpg
    IMG_20210514_211530_01.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 55
I agree, Snopro, leave the tractor as a yard tractor. I find that the underslung lawn mower is nice on the lawn, but is a pain in the a$$ in the garden. It catches on the potato hills and you loose traction or the lawnmower is breaking the stems of the row of plants when you get close enough with the rotovator. I'm dreaming of making a pull-type hitch for my mower deck so I can pull it if I want to, or easily unhook it. Mine will be a 'trailing', 'off-to-the-side' mower so I can mow under the big spruce trees.

I agree, Snopro, leave the tractor as a yard tractor. I find that the underslung lawn mower is nice on the lawn, but is a pain in the a$$ in the garden. It catches on the potato hills and you loose traction or the lawnmower is breaking the stems of the row of plants when you get close enough with the rotovator. I'm dreaming of making a pull-type hitch for my mower deck so I can pull it if I want to, or easily unhook it. Mine will be a 'trailing', 'off-to-the-side' mower so I can mow under the big spruce trees.

With this loader I have to take off the mower bracket, so it's a bit of a chore to put that back on even though the mower deck is super easyto remove/re-install. We also have a Cub Cadet zero-turn mower with a 54" deck, so the smaller 46" deck on this guy will likely be a shed ornament.

I don't have a tiller for this, we have a Honda 36" walk-behind rototiller. I used it the other day, it's an animal for sure. However, having the loader on this tractor will be so much more useful than having a second mower. We had a bunch of trees go down with the snowfall the other day so it will get a workout this weekend.

We bought all this equipment from the previous owners, some as part of the house sale and some separately. Everything was maintained, just not necessarily to the level I clean and maintain things.

As a sidenote, I was mowing last week with the zero-turn and it was agonizingly slow on any incline and when turning. I was worried that it was the hydrostatic transmission, but I replaced the drive belt (what a pain) and it was instantly fixed. What a relief!

SnowPro -- Was looking over some tractor threads and found your old one on the Cub Cadet 2182 you picked up. Have never seen one with a front loader & wheel weights before. Could you take a few more pictures of the 2182 & the 600 cc Kubota motor when you have time. Looks like a great little tractor.

SnowPro -- Was looking over some tractor threads and found your old one on the Cub Cadet 2182 you picked up. Have never seen one with a front loader & wheel weights before. Could you take a few more pictures of the 2182 & the 600 cc Kubota motor when you have time. Looks like a great little tractor.

Yeah, I definitely can for you! I'll be switching it over to the snowblower here after we return from vacation next week, so I'll get you some photos then.

It's heavier than it looks, around 1,000 lbs without the loader.

The loader was made by a third party by the name of Kwik-Way. I have been using it quite a bit and it's a great little tractor. With five 28"x24" sidewalk blocks in the bucket the rear wheels couldn't get much traction, so the wheel weights sure helped that situation. The rear wheels also have fluid in them.

These had some electrical issues, so I'll be doing some rewiring before winter to correct a few annoyances and get it in tip top shape. Right now it will click often when you try to start it, and it isn't charging properly all the time. Luckily, some Cub Cadet faithful have published new wiring diagrams to correct that situation and add relays in the process.

Snopro, I forgot to tell you that you will really enjoy having that front end loader. I know I do. You probably know this by now.

Absolutely. We built a concrete paver patio and digging down the 7" was significantly easier with the loader. Many other tasks around the yard are significantly easier with that loader and bucket.

Neat little guy! I'm with MM, a front end loader can make you a one man army. I just had a week of getting 3 of the 4 tractors in running shape again. New clutches in the Kubota and some fuel blockage issues on the Farmtrac. Also replaced a broken hydraulic line on the RK. I live by myself and until I got my first loader, I didn't know what I was missing. Good score snopro!

SP440 -- Where you able to get any pictures of the Kubota 600cc motor for us to look at? Thanks, hope your vacation was good.

SP440 - Thanks, looking forward to seeing pictures of the motor. Is it a 1,2 or 3 cylinder 600cc motor? Do you know when the tractor/mower was built? Is it a USA or Canadian model?

SP440 - Thanks, looking forward to seeing pictures of the motor. Is it a 1,2 or 3 cylinder 600cc motor? Do you know when the tractor/mower was built? Is it a USA or Canadian model?

Mine is a 1992, they were built from 1990-1995. I believe they were sold in both the USA and Canada. The engine is a Kubota WG600, it's a 3-cylinder 600cc liquid cooled gasoline engine.

I'm going to be getting it ready for snow duty, which it hasn't been used for in quite a few years. Some rewiring is on the docket, and cleaning up and improving the snow thrower to make sure it has a good chance of limited breakdowns and doing what I need. The snow thrower is still International labelled, pretty cool. I found a place that sells new guides, wear plates, and wings and a top extension plus drift cutters.

Kubota 600cc 3 cyl gas engine

sp440 - I went over to You Tube and there is a short video of a Kubota 600cc gas engine running on a stand. Sweet sounding 3 cylinder gas engine. The picture of the motor was not very good, looking forward to your picture.

I didn't forget, just been busy prepping for winter here. I'm restoring the snow thrower that mounts onto the 2182, and going to rewire the charging and starting sides of the electrical on the 2182.

Here's the photos I have so far of the engine. It needs some clean up and new gaskets. I'll get to that at some point.

Attachments

• PXL_20211025_035111789.jpg
    PXL_20211025_035111789.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20211025_035057587.jpg
    PXL_20211025_035057587.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20211025_035103706.jpg
    PXL_20211025_035103706.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 15
You are probably already aware of this, but the Cub Cadet Zero turns really like to have fresh oil and filters on the transaxles. The 54"is much easier to do this service on than the 50" like I have.

You are probably already aware of this, but the Cub Cadet Zero turns really like to have fresh oil and filters on the transaxles. The 54"is much easier to do this service on than the 50" like I have.

Yep, I had to do this already on my RZT. The filters were relatively easy to do, but took 7 weeks for my local dealer to get in stock.

Replacing the belt for the transmission was a bear (the 54 has the extra capacity fluid reservoir, not sure if yours does too), because I had to disconnect the extra lines to the large reservoir under the seat, but there's nothing about it in the service manual. That and there's a revised idler pulley that blocks the hole you're supposed to put your ratchet into for releasing belt tension. Either my belt is slipping or the transmission is weak on the right side, the tensioner spring seems very weak so that's one of my replacement items this winter.

Yup, they didn't make them easy to service I had to replace both belts. To change the transaxle oil on the 50" you have to remove them take the plug out and turn them upside down. 😥

Latest posts

Back