stainless frame and bed??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorodders

I do a lot of Stainless work and I'm thinking of building a stainless frame and bed for my early Willis roadster. I'll leave the bucket rusty or flat black. What's your thoughts? I disrespect popular opinion and cruise with rat rodders opinions! Thats now my signature..

I had looked into doing just that a couple of years ago. I wanted to do a SS frame rod with a glass coupe body to drive year round here in NH. (lots of salt and snow in the winter) Had a bunch of opinions on if the frame would work harden or not. Then as far as cost the thought was to go with 409 instead of 304. 409 will get a coat of surface rust but will hold out for a very long time before (if ever) rusting through. Never did pull the trigger on the project though.

I can't see any reason why stainless wouldn't work for a frame. It would look pretty good too. I think a stainless bed might look out of place... but that's just my opinion...

Colorodders,
While you won't be the first with a Stainless frame, you will be among the few. I say go for it but, as Klink said, the bed would be out of place. Here are a few shots of my SS C-cab frame.....Ruggs
07-03-10_1746.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01418.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01441.jpg
[/IMG]

there are some t-buckets out there with stainless steel frames (and i'm sure other kinds too) that have been polished and they look good. i don't want to clean and polish it so i would go with satin and either leave it raw or paint it. nothing wrong with stainless steel but it is heavier then mild steel.

It's not really heavier, not enough to worry about.. I build stainless safes and have studied a lot on the differences. I don't want to deviate too far off of it being a rat. I will build other rods with too much bling for the normals to handle or appreciate ;)

Latest posts

Back