Electric engine swaps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that's coming but you won't be seeing one in any of my cars! I love the rumble of an American V8 through Flowmaster 40's waaaay too much! :eek:[cl

BoB

attachment.php

Like it or not, it is coming. It's OK for my golf cart but I too need to hear that V8 music. The word is that in BC and maybe all Canada will be cutting off fossil fuel vehicle sales as of 2035 :eek:
I think my biggest objection to electric vehicles is - why do they have to look weird? Or maybe I'm just stuck in the past and just don't like the modern plastic futuremobile Transformer look.....
My brother has already joined the EV crowd and has put together this Electric Falcon.

Attachments

• 5457a.jpg
    5457a.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 58
Roadster Shop
t84Su1g6o3s982i1chhre7u7 ·
We are honored to partner with @fordperformance as the foundation for this F100 All-Electric Eluminator Concept truck powered by the all-new Eluminator electric crate motor now available to customers!
Check it out in the metal at the @fordperformance booth at #sema2021
251847592_10159153674299927_1791809027081461547_n.jpg

I'm with Doc on this !!!!!!!

Last edited:
GM and Hot Rod Magazine just converted a well-known 57 Chevy, Project X, to electric and unveiled it at SEMA this week.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/project-x-57-chevy-ev-conversion/

I don't plan to EV convert any of my stuff or build one, but it's cool that they're making it accessible. I like that GM is sending the message they're still in the internal combustion performance game with engines like the ZZ632 crate engine and LT6 in the new Z06 Corvette.

I couldn't imagine how something like Hot Rod Power Tour could remain functioning with thousands of cars travelling the same route if even 1/4 of those cars were electric and were looking for charging.

attachment.php

Like it or not, it is coming. It's OK for my golf cart but I too need to hear that V8 music. The word is that in BC and maybe all Canada will be cutting off fossil fuel vehicle sales as of 2035 :eek:
I think my biggest objection to electric vehicles is - why do they have to look weird? Or maybe I'm just stuck in the past and just don't like the modern plastic futuremobile Transformer look.....
My brother has already joined the EV crowd and has put together this Electric Falcon.

That's a sweet looking Falcon! The no noise thing is weird, I was at the end of my driveway on Sunday and a Tesla SUV drove by. The noise of the tires was all you heard.

When they talk about cutting off Fossil Fuel vehicle sales, I just think of more remote areas (like in northern Alberta and BC) where people either farm or are so remote that electric vehicles seem a lot less feasible, especially in winter conditions.

At least something like a hybrid with an onboard gas engine used as a generator (EX: Chevy Volt) is a little bit more adaptable to not being able to charge.

It’ll be a cold day in hell....

I agree 10000000%!!!!

Electric is not feasible at this time. Maybe some day, but today ain’t the day, and tomorrow doesn’t look so good, either. I can see it as a portion of the market, but not all of it. The electric grid of today can’t support total electric vehicles. Most homes only have 100 amp service, the chargers take 200 or 250 amp service, and the lines aren’t big enough to carry the load. And what about all the folks that live in apartments? There will never be enough public chargers to cover them.

Not to say the idiots aren’t going to try and force it on us, they will, and it will fail. Quickly! All these companies like Cadillac, Volvo, and Jaguar that are going total electric by 2025 will go bankrupt. The ones that survive will be those that have a mix of gas, diesel, and electric.

Us rednecks may have to build a still and brew some alcohol for fuel! Not giving up my internal combustion engines without a fight!!!!

I still don't like how long it takes to recharge and range. I know it is getting better but not yet. For our daily driver it would work but going on any trips it would be a hassle. I would very much consider a hybrid though. Jim

The lack of engine noise is hard to get used to, it has even been brought up as a safety issue, like more pedestrians getting hit 'cause they didn't hear the electric car coming.
I remember on an episode of West Coast Customs where they made a sort of boom box setup to put under some lame little import car they dolled up so it would put out the engine/exhaust sound of a Ferrari or something like that.
Total poser, yes but I got to thinking of making something like that for my golf cart in Yuma, make it sound like a big block Chevelle or Hemi 'Cuda :rolleyes::D. I found systems for RC toys, cars & planes but they just don't have the output to scale up to a car and I just don't have electronic geek knowledge to put together something workable.....:(

The lack of engine noise is hard to get used to, it has even been brought up as a safety issue, like more pedestrians getting hit 'cause they didn't hear the electric car coming.
I remember on an episode of West Coast Customs where they made a sort of boom box setup to put under some lame little import car they dolled up so it would put out the engine/exhaust sound of a Ferrari or something like that.
Total poser, yes but I got to thinking of making something like that for my golf cart in Yuma, make it sound like a big block Chevelle or Hemi 'Cuda :rolleyes::D. I found systems for RC toys, cars & planes but they just don't have the output to scale up to a car and I just don't have electronic geek knowledge to put together something workable.....:(

You can get an "exhaust system" for Tesla's and other electric cars that usually have speakers that can play engine noises. Check this link of a Tesla playing Hellcat engine sounds: https://www.motor1.com/news/521725/model-s-makes-hellcat-sounds/

Living in the middle of the largest Amish community in the US (& world), and with the e-bikes as popular as they are, I have nearly stepped out right in front of electric bikes coming up behind me more than once. The first time I was stepping out to cross a street here in our small town, and was nearly creamed by a guy coming up behind me & turning right. Tonight I heard a slightly louder hum coming up the street, and when I turned around to look, it was an electric scooter/cycle. The thing is, now it's getting cold here in Ohio, and during the winter I wear both a stocking cap and an insulated cap with ear flaps over that yet, so my hearing is even further reduced.

A hybrid Taurus,I believe, pulled up along side me at a light and I thought it very weird to hear the tires rolling on the gravel on the road. No engine noise. Jim

Latest posts

Back