6 bolt to 5

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4junkie

OK so here goes. Could be a dumb question! I'm using a 91 Dakota for under my '52ish Dodge. It has a 6 bolt pattern.I want 5 bolt. Is it as simple as swaping axles, ect.? I may have more Questions so bare with me! I've swapped lots o' engines and trannys, never built one from the ground up so to speak.

There may be some on here who would disagree with me however, you can just re-drill the front hubs/rotors and rear axle flanges to accept the 5 bolt pattern.
If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, I'd have a shop do it.
You can buy the rear axles from someone like Moser and there may be a swap out there somewhere for the front hubs/rotors too.

AxleDrillJig.jpg
[/IMG]
This an example of the jig to change the stud pattern....ruggs

In a pinch, you could use wheel adapters. But most places don't want to build an adapter from 6 to 5. Has to do with a 6 lug vehicle having a specific payload and 5 having less. The adapter manufacturers don't want you to load up a 5 lug wheel with 6 lug payload.
There are places out there though, I swapped from 6 lug GMC axles/hubs to 5 lug dodge wheels with adapters. But I also found wheels with a different backs pacing to accommodate pushing the wheels out X amount.
If your interested in this route, let me know. Ill see if I can find where I got mine from.

easiest thing for the front is to just buy new front rotors/hubs for a 89-91? I think 92 they made the switch to 6 lug... rear...buy new axles or redrill or find 68-70 B-Body 8 3/4 :p

Latest posts

Back