Thursday at Gruber's

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Thursday I drove the slant 6 powered RPU to Gruber's. Longest trip so far (15 miles). Stop and go rush hour traffic at first had me on pins and needles. All went well.

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpg
    IMG_3007.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 31
I was starting to wonder! :confused: I see a '54 Chevy hardtop i have to think about Moonglow the showcar. That led to listening to Benny Goodman play Moonglow. I've fallen down a rabbit hole :rolleyes:

I have the same problem, E-man. Whenever I read a Dozer post, I realize his name is Glen Miller and I think I know his phone number: Pennsylvania 6-5000.

Rabbit Holes Are Us.

The internet repairman was here today. This is a test to see if pics will post at an acceptable speed. This truck is from Gruber's a couple weeks ago. Near perfect. Wow! less than a minute. Back in business.

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 23
Last Thursday I drove the slant 6 powered RPU to Gruber's. Longest trip so far (15 miles). Stop and go rush hour traffic at first had me on pins and needles. All went well.

Hey Bob W...glad to see you got to drive the old heap...slants sixes around where I live are rare as hens teeth...

How did it feel to get wind in your face again?

MikeC

How did it feel to get wind in your face again?

MikeC[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comment, Mike. To tell you the truth, I was on pins and needles. I've driven it very little. The first 3 miles are rush hour/road construction/hot weather stop and go traffic. It survived all that. Building confidence in it little by little.
Here's Flyin' Brian's purchase of the week. A nice garage find Bucket, soon to be sold, no doubt. Brian has hot rod ADD.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 19
Not Thursday, Not Gruber's

In the 1950's there was a young fella who lived in a nearby state. Like many his age he was bitten by the hot rod bug. Rather than just looking at magazines he went out and got a 1932 Ford roadster. Over time he modified it with a later flathead engine, juice brakes and a passel of gauges. Oh, it was a fine hot rod for it's time. Eventually the young man wanted more power. He bought a Buick nailhead V8. He, probably along with some buddies, pulled the roadster apart and started installing the big V8. But, they couldn't fit the engine in. They lacked knowledge and experience. And being in the Midwest, not exactly the hot bed of hot rodding, there was no help to be had. The roadster sat. And sat, And sat.
The boy became a man. The man became a father. The father became an old man. Still the roadster sat. For 50 years
The old man heard about my friend, a young guy with a passion for traditional hot rods. He delivered the roadster to my friend who returned the flathead to its rightful home, fixed a lot of stuff suffering from the years of neglect and returned the little black Deuce. He made a open offer to buy the roadster if the gentleman ever wanted to sell.
Some years went by. The old man passed away. The children had little interest in this survivor.
They contacted my friend, The deal was made. It now belongs to Jeff.

Attachments

• IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 20
Wow, what a cool hot rod, a genuine 50's timepiece. [dr
You just can't duplicate the look and the story that the years have bestowed upon this survivor. Good on the guy who got it up and running again to preserve this piece of history. [cl[cl

Here' a couple new ones that showed up tonight. Beautiful night. Dell's Willys. An unknown '55. Trusdale's sedan, And Chuck's '36.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg