Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it is missing its eyes. It's a silly looking little car with or without the headlights. With all the discussion from zz and others, I realize the rear end is an inch forward. I'll live with it.
Got most of the front subframe welded. I hope it's square. The rear spring mount pads are just tacked in place. Next is the front shackle mounts.
I'm on the fence regarding how much performance to put in the thing. The present low compression 406/700r4 is sufficient for driving. But should I race it, a 400hp 360 sbc that is ready to assemble might be a better choice. I have a really good high stall converter for a Powerglide sitting on the shelf. But I don't have a race prepped 'Glide. I like wrestling with choices like these.

Attachments

• subframe 002.jpg
    subframe 002.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
  • subframe 003.jpg
    subframe 003.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 30
  • subframe 001.jpg
    subframe 001.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 29
Thank you to everyone that is following along.
Today I got the spring mounting brackets tacked in place. Notice the difference in shackle angle. One spring has a bit more arch. Might make a visit to the spring shop. I will try the hammer technique first. Save a few bucks.

Attachments

• spring mounts 001.jpg
    spring mounts 001.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 26
  • spring mounts 002.jpg
    spring mounts 002.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 24
  • spring mounts 003.jpg
    spring mounts 003.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
In Jersey here we had an old school spring shop. The old man would heat and hammer and build a set of springs... Last time I used him he built me a set of springs for a 1960 Ford F100. I stopped in there last year for a part for my Dakota.... the old man passed away and the son took over the business. They don't make springs anymore.....just buy them. What a shame I was so disappointed to see what had become of this cool place.

Speaking of cool places, there's a steel supplier near by. What a cool place.... all outbuildings with large doors that open up to the yard. I'm talking big buildings. Brakes, Iron workers, Shears that cut like 1" plate. What cool place.

Sorry to babble on your thread Bob.....

Couper, you can say anything you desire on my thread. It's all good.
A spot of progress. The front clip is tacked in place. I put the 406 engine and 700r4 in and it dropped 2". Took that out and put a bare block and a newly acquired core Powerglide in. I'll be using the 'glide because it's smaller and can handle more horsepower. And I have a real good high stall converter for it.
Built the trans cross member and motor mounts (shown, not finished).
Decided to make a three piece firewall. Bent the 1/2" flanges by hand, no brake. They will add stiffness when welded together. Had to put a recess in for the distributor. It actually intrudes into the cowl. Otherwise the distributor could not be removed. Lots of trimming, fitting and welding ahead.

Attachments

• Farwall 004.jpg
    Farwall 004.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Farwall 005.jpg
    Farwall 005.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 31
  • Farwall 003.jpg
    Farwall 003.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 29
  • more 002.jpg
    more 002.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 26
  • more 001.jpg
    more 001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 26
Firewall looks good, really like that distributor recess.
Bent by hand, huh? Must have some bionic fingers we didn’t know about![ddd:D:D:D

Great workmanship bob.😎👍
You should have a you tube channel. Maybe Bad Chad would watch and learn how to build a chassis and suspension . Not to mention a non perforated fire wall.🙀
Torchie

Great workmanship bob.😎👍
You should have a you tube channel. Maybe Bad Chad would watch and learn how to build a chassis and suspension . Not to mention a non perforated fire wall.🙀
Torchie

Is that even posssible? Not for me. I love the look of a clean fire wall but it takes so much work and even more planning. I usually end up with organized chaos as a theme under the hood. :eek::eek:[S[S:eek::eek:

You're making great progress. Stay after it!!

Pops, a good builder would have made a one piece firewall. But it's done and partially welded in place.
This is my humble version of the Winfield roller. An old driveshaft with a couple 1/8" thick straps welded to it. They create a gap for the metal and a way to clamp the tube down.
I cut a couple front shock mounts out of this grody piece of 1/4" plate with a cut off wheel and angle grinder. The torch cuts are from a long ago project. Like Torchie and others, nothing goes to waste. The brackets are in this stainless steel pot derusting in vinegar.

Attachments

• misc 002.jpg
    misc 002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 35
  • misc 003.jpg
    misc 003.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 35
  • misc 005.jpg
    misc 005.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 36
  • misc 004.jpg
    misc 004.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 34
The "funny" thing about BCs perforated "fire" wall is that it will weigh more than 18 gauge solid one. His arguments are bogus. He just wanted to do it.

There is nothing wrong with a three piece firewall. Form follows function.

Now I need to build a Winfield roller. Gotta' keep up. [cl:D

The "funny" thing about BCs perforated "fire" wall is that it will weigh more than 18 gauge solid one. His arguments are bogus. He just wanted to do it.

There is nothing wrong with a three piece firewall. Form follows function.

Now I need to build a Winfield roller. Gotta' keep up. [cl:D

Skip.
BC lost me when he was trying to justify what he was doing by claiming that’s how it would have been built in 1935😳
He’s a terrible mechanic and doesn’t know bupkis about automotive engineering.
I won’t be riding in either of those death traps.
The Windfield bender is a real handy tool to have. I keep thinking that one day I’ll make one.
Torchie

Speaking of the perforated firewall, I commented on You Tube that no amount of rationalizing would make it right. That a real firewall wouldn't have taken any more time. Some other watcher jumped on my case, calling me names and so on. I thanked him and said "bless you". That shut him up.

Chad is an artist and bodyman. I respect him for that. I have learned some techniques but do get tired of his repetitive banter. His Bugatti builds are very creative.

Skip.
BC lost me when he was trying to justify what he was doing by claiming that’s how it would have been built in 1935😳
He’s a terrible mechanic and doesn’t know bupkis about automotive engineering.
I won’t be riding in either of those death traps.
The Windfield bender is a real handy tool to have. I keep thinking that one day I’ll make one.
Torchie
Agree on all points, Torchie. I don't have to like his designs, but I do worry about safety stuff. We are not alone. His dedicated several minutes to making excuses, because so many called him out on it.

I have parts to build the bender. it will likely happen when I need to use it. I will need to incorporate it into some other tool stand to save space. Or something like that...

Bad Chad Should Be Goofy Chad

Lots of other stuff in the way lately. Finally got the steering from the rack to the steering wheel done, except for final welding. Trying to use parts I have. The column runs so far from the firewall, and there is no dash yet, I had a time figuring out where to bracket it. Settled on this "T" section member that angles up from the frame. It is sturdy; no side to side or up and down movement of the column. It will be a left foot braking deal with that brace in the way.

With engine forward there is a lot more foot room so, it was all worthwhile. 'Course there's still a crap ton of work to do. Next will be the trans tunnel and floor.

BTW, I still watch Bad Chad. As long as he's building a 50mph drag car, I'm ok with it. Like it or not, the body is one of a kind.

Attachments

• steering 001.jpg
    steering 001.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 32
  • steering 005.jpg
    steering 005.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 29
  • More steering 001.jpg
    More steering 001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 30
  • More steering 002.jpg
    More steering 002.jpg