Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I got both corners finished up today.
Then I went back to the add-a-door. I decided I was just going to finish the opening completely and make the door fit the hole.

Not looking forward to the welding on the thin door metal. I'm impatient and try to weld too much too fast and it always warps on me. I just need to pick a good day and be cool.

Still lots of welding to do.[;)[;)[;)

Attachments

• IMG-3186.jpg
    IMG-3186.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-3188.jpg
    IMG-3188.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-3184.jpg
    IMG-3184.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-3185.jpg
    IMG-3185.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-3189.jpg
    IMG-3189.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-3192.jpg
    IMG-3192.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-3193.jpg
    IMG-3193.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the interest and the comments guys. It keeps me motivated during this body work phase.

I'm looking forward to the fun part.... Building a little more power in the engine and getting it to the ground.

Not much happening today. I had to take my 93 yr old mother to her Dr. appointments. She's not as fleet of foot as she used to be but she's still as feisty and quick whitted as ever.

Back on this project tomorrow.

Tig it from one end to another and it won't warp

I'd have to buy a tig set up and learn how to use it. I've often wished I did have a tig rig tho.

It's beautious Pops.[cl Do what Bad Chad does, 4-5 tacks and cool with compressed air.

That's the way I've had the best results but as I said before, I get impatient.
I just need to chill and get after it.

Air works but I don’t use it all that often.
Patience is the best way . Just remember that when you think you should put that extra tack in there because it’s looking so good. Don’t.
Just slow and easy and keep moving around.
Much like life at our age.😳😜😎
Torchie

Progress.......

After a day of planning and measuring, I got started on the door. I had to cut
5 3/8" out of the width to start with. I didn't realize the top isn't square with the sides plus the sides aren't parallel. The only thing square about the door is the front edge with the bottom. And I built a square opening. :eek::confused:[S

1st fitting ain't even close. But you gotta start some where.
I used the section that I cut out as a backer and screwed it together solidly. The drop made it easy to line up the profile of the door and makes for easier welding.

This may be one of those week long jobs that I thought would only take a couple of days. Glad I don't have a dead line.

Attachments

• IMG-3199.jpg
    IMG-3199.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-3200.jpg
    IMG-3200.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-3201.jpg
    IMG-3201.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-3202.jpg
    IMG-3202.jpg