Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill M may be of some help. I think he is using most of the original stuff on his 48 Thrift Master build. I know it's not dodge but I would think it's the same principle.

K.I.S.S.

By the time I got the cab off I had made up my mind to stay with what I know and can work on without a computer.
Plus I don't like the way the all the nonsense looks under the hood.
Moving on with plan.

Attachments

• IMG-2852.jpg
    IMG-2852.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-2925-2.jpg
    IMG-2925-2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-2925-1.jpg
    IMG-2925-1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2913.jpg
    IMG-2913.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-2915.jpg
    IMG-2915.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 30
My biggest concern in gutting it is how much of this Electrical/computer system crap does the trans mission still need to function properly????
Or is it old enough that it will have no effect at all.?
Watching and learning.
[P [P [P
Torchie

My biggest concern in gutting it is how much of this Electrical/computer system crap does the trans mission still need to function properly????
Or is it old enough that it will have no effect at all.?
Watching and learning.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Torchie,
That's why I searched for a '95 Dakota and was willing to drive 1000 miles to get one with the 5.2 magnum engine and the 518 trans.

1995 was the last year Dodge made the 46RH 518 transmission which is a hydraulic controlled unit. The only thing electrical is the overdrive and the lock up torque convertor. PATC sells a solenoid set up that plumbs into the pressure tap and activates the solenoids when the pressures reach the preset levels of your choice.

I have used that set up on my '47 Dodge and My brides Willys. They work great.

I think I could work out the computer thing but I'm confident that it would be trouble free.

I'm going with temporary insanity for even thinking about going to the fuel injected. It is nice when it's all playing nicely together but one dang glitch can shut you down. :eek::eek:

Allow me to play [ddd advocate. I'd guess you've already fixed the only thing that's ever gone wrong with FI on that truck, bad connection at the pump.
Put a new pump in the tank, clean every connector in the system, reassemble with plenty of dielectric grease and drop 75 bucks on spare parts @ the junk yard, ECU, throttle body etc. Also get an OBD tester to help you in the rare event you have a problem. Compared to fuel injection, carburetors are hard on your engine because they lack the ability to continuously adjust for optimal AFR. Especially when cold and as an engine gets older. And like you said, "FI is nice"...........Take the plunge man, FI is not all that complicated...

I want to underline something ORR said, so I don't go on a rant afterwards. Guys, use dielectric grease in connections when those connections are near our atmosphere, [that's everywhere]. Thanks ORR for bringing that up.
EFI is really nice most of the time, it's just scary if it quits.

apart from all pro`s and con`s, I really like the looks of an old engine with carburetor. If it was all about efficiency and reliability, there are far better options than a dinosaur V8.

While I do appreciate Kenny's plug - I'm the first to admit that I bought my fuel injected LS from a shop that deletes all the unnecessary stuff and provided some really good instruction on what connections I was responsible for. I still have the ODB connection for troubleshooting, and the 4L60 is computer controlled.
I agree with Dutch on the look of the FI, I like the look of the old stuff - but in my case I was looking at it as something my wife could easily drive (if my health becomes a problem again) and I have learned a ton going this route! Bottom line POPS - do what's right for you, we will all support it.

It is nice when it's all playing nicely together but one dang glitch can shut you down. :eek::eek:

I hear this a lot, a LOT. and when I hear it I remember that I have been driving fuel injected cars of all types since the mid 80s and the only glitch that ever shut me down were when two separate vehicles (of dozens) had a fuel pump failure. I have had em all, mechanical fuel injection (2002tii), electro mechanical (kjet scirocco), early afm type (bmw ljet, gm bosch-type), early maf (bmw motronic), TBI, alpha n, batch fired, sequential, direct injection, DOZENS. I even programmed (as in wrote the assembly code myself) a custom setup to run e85 on multiple throttle bodies, it made for a really angry sounding 100hp 4 cylinder. sum total failures: two bad fuel pumps and zero glitches.

I know you made your mind up, and aesthetics do mean a lot on these rides. that TBI setup is sure ugly enough to start a fight. but the number of people that think you park when you have a check engine light is too damn high haha.

After fighting the Fitech (can you say POS) throttle body FI for two years, I'll not do any type of FI except fuel rail injection system.

Progress.......

I really do appreciate all of the input on this guys. The bottom line for me is I'm old and not very computer savvy. That plus I crawl into my old Dodge with the carbureted 408 stroker that I built and I just can't bring myself to do the EFI thing. It's so fine and just short of a 409! [I loved that song]

Not to mention I got to the point of using a pair of side cutters as my main tool when I was taking the ECM stuff off the motor to pull the cab off the Dakota.

Got the 3" spacer blocks off the rear end and will get the front junk off the front suspension and rebuild all that. It's pretty much worn out.

I drug, dragged? the frame out side the shop and it's sitting out there soaking.
I sprayed it down with a 50/50 mixture of ATF and Acetone and will steam clean it so I can carry on.

Need to just cut 5" out of the wheel base for this thing and set the cab and bed on it to figure out the engine placement.

Still beatin on it!!

Attachments

• IMG-2922.jpg
    IMG-2922.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-2934.jpg
    IMG-2934.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-2933.jpg
    IMG-2933.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-2931.jpg