Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GitRDone, šŸ˜ƒ never heard of acetone and ATF as a degreaser, it make the best penetrating oil

Try it you might like it. It really penetrates the real heavy hard stuff we all hate. Like around the rear diff and transmission. After sitting overnight you can see alot of it just falling off.

That's what I was thinking, though spraying oil on something seems contrary to the idea of cleaning it.:confused: Or does mixing ATF with the acetone extend the time it has to dissolve grease before evaporating?[S

Don't ask me what makes it work so well, all I know is it breaks down the tuff stuff but you do have to do a good steam cleaning job, not just a pressure washer, to get the residue off.

Try wd40 on glue residu from decals.
The oily substance will loosen the contact with the under laying surface and the acetone will take care of the grease... I`m not surpised it works so well, but I`ve never heard that combo before [cl

thats a good tip I wouldnt have considered because acetone usually makes plastic turn to glue. even when I mix it with atf for a penetrant the bottle ends up eating itself.

the steam cleaning probably helps too! I use simple green degreaser and foamy engine gunk on the tough stuff but I only have a cold pressure washer.

Adding a door.....

The only thing I have gotten done for the past week was to create more work for myself.

I don't like the fact that to get access to the rear of this thing you would have to crawl over the front seat. So I'm going to make it a three door.

I scored another pair of doors that I will combine and shorten 3-4", keep the ability to roll the window up and down and mount it suicide style on the passenger side.

Here what I have rollin around in my pea brain.

Attachments

• IMG-2952.jpg
    IMG-2952.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-2948.jpg
    IMG-2948.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Jeep-Gladiator_764B7881-edit.jpg
    Jeep-Gladiator_764B7881-edit.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 29
You might want to think about straightening up that "C" pillar on the 3rd door.
If you haven't already. Or not.:eek:[cl :p [ddd
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

As much as I prefer the look of a two-door, the extra door is so practical that I have to agree with the idea.

I must be getting old. Grandpa cars have four doors, not hotrods. Or at least they did when I had one. A grandpa, not a four door.

PS- After looking at pic #2, I had to check to see where you live. :D

The only thing I have gotten done for the past week was to create more work for myself.

I don't like the fact that to get access to the rear of this thing you would have to crawl over the front seat. So I'm going to make it a three door.

I scored another pair of doors that I will combine and shorten 3-4", keep the ability to roll the window up and down and mount it suicide style on the passenger side.

Here what I have rollin around in my pea brain.

Here we go again! This build just became more fun to watch.

[cl[cl[cl
[P[P[P

There you go getting tricky.
šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž
Torchie

I can't seem to leave things alone when I see something that I think needs to be changed.

You might want to think about straightening up that "C" pillar on the 3rd door.
If you haven't already. Or not.:eek:[cl :p [ddd
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

I agree there Torchie. I plan on straightening that up. Looks kinda goofy as is.

As much as I prefer the look of a two-door, the extra door is so practical that I have to agree with the idea.

I must be getting old. Grandpa cars have four doors, not hotrods. Or at least they did when I had one. A grandpa, not a four door.

PS- After looking at pic #2, I had to check to see where you live. :D

You're going to have splane about pic 2 and where I live. I'm old and dense.

Not a lot done today.
I did manage to set the bed on to find the sweet spot
Next is to make the mounts.
Then I can shorten the frame.

I want to get the cab mounted solid before
I go to cutting the side out for the add on door. Maybe I can avoid things
moving too much that way..

Attachments

• IMG-2959.jpg
    IMG-2959.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-2966.jpg
    IMG-2966.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-2964.jpg
    IMG-2964.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 21
I agree there Torchie. I plan on straightening that up. Looks kinda goofy as is.

You're going to have splane about pic 2 and where I live. I'm old and dense.
He used a pic of the left side of the car while talking about putting a door in the right side. Unless he was in a country with right hand steering. I used to work for a company that made both right and left hand drive trucks.

next issue...

[S[S:eek:[S[S
So I pulled the drive train out of the Dakota frame to remove the lift on the front end and it dawned on me that the torsion bar set up and cross member was going to be in the way of the transfer case when moving the engine/trans back enough.

I may need to go to a 4x4 straight axle instead of the IFS.

Back to the drawing board for a new plan.

Attachments

• IMG-2967.jpg
    IMG-2967.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2968.jpg
    IMG-2968.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2967-1.jpg
    IMG-2967-1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back