'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's starting to look like a Hemi, now. Here's a mock up.

Attachments

• IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 20
That should fool most of the experts you meet at car shows. "My brother had the same car when he was young, except his was blah blah blah.......";)

Thank you, Guys.
More Tomfoolery, as I had to make a little tin piece to add width to the driver-side head. On the passenger side the alternator hides the valve cover/head width discrepancy but on the left side it's right out in the open. We can't have an obvious hole in the fakery, so I built this tin cap. In the first picture my finger is pointing to a hidden nut to hold the tin cap on, but I didn't know how to mark the tin in the exact spot to drill the mounting hole. I smeared the 'welded on' nut with peanut butter and held the tin piece up tight, but the nut is too high so my brilliant [cheap] move was worthless. Anyhow, I ended up taking the valve cover off again and boring a 'too big' hole for adjustment, and that worked. After I primed the piece of tin, I sprayed on some lumpy paint to simulate castiron and then painted it ultra flat brown.

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 17
when I looked at the pics of the engine, that filler panel was the first thing that came to mind... way cool you made what I thought [cl:D

Thank you Guys.
You know that your happy thoughts just encourages me.
Anyhow, I installed the tin patch and when the paint fades a bit more it will look pretty good. I took a picture of the lumpy paint can. It came from a hobby store. The paint was a little too lumpy to look exactly like cast-iron, maybe I should have sanded it down a wee bit and then repainted it.
After adding the break-in oil, I put my big drill on the oil pump and got the oil circulating up to 70 pounds pressure.

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 15
I've been picking away at things on the engine. The intake manifold is bolted on and maybe even leakproof. After some measuring and imagineering, I decided on using the truck front motor mount instead of the side mounts, so I had to take the vibration damper off again to mount the big cast-iron bracket on. The fan is back on. Then I tackled the emergency brake system. I made the grey 'L' shaped brackets upside down compared to the originals, to make the rod over to the brake handle more physics friendly. And because I don't actually remember how the dang thing worked before.

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpg
    IMG_3107.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3108.jpg
    IMG_3108.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 13
"Picking away" at stuff on the hot rod seems to describe how I spend my time on the truck quite often. Usually it's a "what do I feel like doing on the spur of the moment" thing, a little here, a little there- all of it needing to be done at some point. A pretty decent sense of accomplishment toward the overall goal I reckon- it all adds up! :rolleyes: :cool:

Latest posts

Back