'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been involved with a few marshmellow builds before. In my younger days, I used to say "I have a torch and a welder, anything will fit anywhere." As I grew older and wiser, my original attitude changed, "fit" has a different meaning then it did back then.

I made a front bracket today and installed it. Chrysler had a single front mount under the vibration damper.
The second picture is looking straight down just in front of the vibration damper.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Well I got back from holidays now, and I got over the jet-lag, but still recovering from the Caribbean water quick step. This slows production down somewhat.
Anyhow, the motor was sitting at a sharp angle when I tried to line up the back of the transmission with the X-member tunnel, pic one; so I had to lower the front end two inches. The front motor mount had to come out and get extended two inches, pic two. Here's a picture of my welding bench, messy as it is.
pic three, the new revised mount installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1477.JPG
    IMG_1477.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Thank you LB. Today I started on my transmission mount, but I'm not using pipe like you LB, because I can't bend it that nice.
Anyhow, I did my "Imagineering" and got a plan in my head for my mount. Here's the start of the rectangle tube weirdness. Pic one.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Thank you LB. Today I started on my transmission mount, but I'm not using pipe like you LB, because I can't bend it that nice.
Anyhow, I did my "Imagineering" and got a plan in my head for my mount. Here's the start of the rectangle tube weirdness. Pic one.
Hahahahaha, I get lucky every now and again. You should see my pile of incorrect bends hahahaha
I do a lot of imagineering myself!! Keep it up brother!! Looking good!!

Today I changed the plan somewhat, so swapped ends on the piece I made; what was going to be the left side is now the right side and at the last minute, I remembered that the rubber mount spacers [that are an inch thick] better be placed properly if I'm going to measure stuff correctly.
There was some progress though -- sideways progress.

I'm trying this thread for the second time. Anyhow, my plan for this '34 Dodge Brothers truck was to make it into a ratrod with a wide block, poly 318, New Process 435, 4 speed, and a Dodge Dart rear-end. The whole truck is a rough barn find, in fact too rough for a ratrod, so I'd have to tinker it up a wee bit to make it a rat.
This summer a lady phoned me and asked if I was the guy who had a lot of jalopies. I was almost offended but thought maybe she didn't know that we didn't use that term anymore. I nodded, so she wanted to come out to the farm and look them over. I am always up for an old car tour with a nice sounding lady. She came out and looked over the cars and trucks, all the while telling me her story. She was part of a team putting on a play in town, [The Grapes of Wrath] and needed an old jalopy. I was thinking my Model A, but no, she needed a truck to carry a big family and their stuff. [I was supposed to read this book in grade 12, but it was summer out and I had things to do.] She picked the '34 Dodge Bros truck. It was a bit rough in places for her liking and too nice in others. Could I rough up the wheels that I had already sand-blasted, primed, painted and installed new tires on? Could I fix up a better seat and throw away the 12" x12" block of wood and mouse poopy towel that was there? Could I fix up the grille a wee bit?
Anyhow I was putty in her hands and meekly said yes, all the while scheming what it would take after this play was over and I could make it back to the original planned ratrod.
Think of the fame and fortune, guys.
The pictures are of the truck in the shed where I found it.
There is plenty to work with there. All you need is the drive to do it.

The hard side is partly done now. The hard part is trying to fit the clutch/brake pedal mounting bracket in there along side the drivers side trans mount. I think I've left enough room. In the pictures you'll see [pic 1] the drivers side slanty bracket and then the passengers side [ pic 2] with a bolt to make things easier to remove later.

Attachments

• IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back