'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug the 8" ford rear end out from under the trees, clamped the spring brackets in place and mocked up the rear suspension. Looks like the body needs to be channeled some more. Not sure if I'll use the trunk and/or the gas tank.

Attachments

• Rear susp mock up 006.jpg
    Rear susp mock up 006.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Rear susp mock up 001.jpg
    Rear susp mock up 001.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Rear susp mock up 002.jpg
    Rear susp mock up 002.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Rear susp mock up 005.jpg
    Rear susp mock up 005.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 89
Hi Bob -- Love the Trunk, have you thought about a little smaller tank inside the trunk. I kinda did that on my 28 RPU. Covered the top of the tank, filler only and had space on top for tools & spare parts.

My 28 was channeled to bottom of the frame, just a thought.:rolleyes:

You will come up with a great setup as always.[cl

The front springs are different and have a bit less arch than the first ones. Made new rear spring mounts. The engine has been raised 2" cuz it was too close to the ground. The trans crossmember is fabbed and tacked in place. The trans and rear end line up good so there should be no driveshaft problems.
The large aluminum tank you can see in the background was a Craigslist find. Looks too big however.
I like the vintage oval tank too, corpo. Just don't know if it will fit this build.
The body is channeled 4" in front and 2" in back for a little forward tilt. Made body mounts. Cut out the firewall for bell housing clearance.

This is getting to be hard work for an old man.

Attachments

• assy 002.jpg
    assy 002.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 78
  • assy 003.jpg
    assy 003.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Very cool intake & header, Tripper. I have mine built already as this engine was in my dragster for a short time. Gonna change from 3 one barrels to 2 two barrels though.
Thank you everyone for following along on this build and commenting.

The front of the frame was dangerously close to the ground so some spring dearching would help. Last time I had springs rearched it cost about $200. So I made this crude (pictured) frame and flattened each leaf with a bottle jack. Gained 1 1/2" of ground clearance.

I bought this military foot locker off Craigslist today. It seems to work better than the black auto accessory trunk I tried earlier. The big 30 gal. aluminum gas tank might work out. To me, It doesn't look too out of proportion.

Attachments

• flattener 001.jpg
    flattener 001.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 98
  • flattener 003.jpg
    flattener 003.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 101
  • flattener 004.jpg
    flattener 004.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Been working on radiator and shell placement. I shortened the shell (1930 Chevy?). Had to put a zig in one end of the tie rod and a zag in the other end to create clearance when turning.

Attachments

• radiator 001.jpg
    radiator 001.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 97
  • radiator 002.jpg
    radiator 002.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Back