Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 08-07-2021, 09:07 PM

Default Frame Table

Bought 7 of these screw jack stands today for 25 bucks each and put this table together. Its only 10' long but it'll have to do. If I need to I can add to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5168.jpg (112.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5166.jpg (113.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 07:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Nice!
Old 08-12-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Nice!
Thanks Kenny!
Old 08-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

With that frame table, I expect to see professional quality work.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
With that frame table, I expect to see professional quality work.
Yes Sir Bob W.... You know I will be posting pictures!
Old 08-12-2021, 07:36 PM

I did a front end mock up today and could use some input. My Speedway catalog came today and I talked with Clarke. Nice guy. Patient....have to be with me.

I had a choice of a 4" drop beam or a 6" drop beam....wasn't sure so I did a mock up. Looks like the 4" will work but like I said I can use some input from those smarter than I.

I used pvc to make a 4" drop mock beam. Then mocked a cross member & some hangers. The 2x4 represent 28" tires.....spindle at 14"

What I don't know but will once the goods come (hope to place order tomorrow after I hear back from couple of you guys) is 1) the height of the spring and 2 how much it will settle withe the 700# motor on it.

So the cross member is 4" above the frame rail in the first picture....this gives me about 6.5" between the axle and the mocked spring hangers. Don't think that's enough.

I can move that cross member up 4" and cut back as much as 2" on the perches or hangers and get another 6" for a total of 12" (picture)

So I can go anywhere between 6.5 and 12" but of course make the cross member higher I suppose. Don't know how high is too high. Is there a rule of thumb on this? I suspect no rules or like my dad used to say "rules are made to be broken" lol

What do you guys think of all this?

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5192.jpg (74.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5195.jpg (96.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5196.jpg (81.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Spring height should be in the Speedway catalog.

I believe the spring rate (how much weight it is designed to handle) should also be in the catalog. It is one of the parameters you should consider when ordering. Travel will be only a couple inches with the right spring.

To the pros out there: If I got this wrong, someone please speak up, before I make a mess of my front suspension.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:37 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Unless you're gonna have the same size tires all the way around, 28" is really tall for the front. More like 26".
As soon as it gets daylight outside, I'll get you some measurements on m front end and some Hemi dimensions too.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Unless you're gonna have the same size tires all the way around, 28" is really tall for the front. More like 26".
As soon as it gets daylight outside, I'll get you some measurements on m front end and some Hemi dimensions too.
Hey Old Iron....Appreciate that. 26" tires will give me another inch so that would be good. Thanks for getting me those dims.....appreciate it!
Old 08-13-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Spring height should be in the Speedway catalog.

I believe the spring rate (how much weight it is designed to handle) should also be in the catalog. It is one of the parameters you should consider when ordering. Travel will be only a couple inches with the right spring.

To the pros out there: If I got this wrong, someone please speak up, before I make a mess of my front suspension.
I couldn't find it....and the sales tech couldn't provide it. I may have to experment with springs....