DDT - Damn Dodge Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dakota is easy to shorten. Cut right behind the factory weld, separate, trim, slide back together, weld.

I'm fired up about building this truck!

I think I am going to lower the front cap rather than sectioning the grill. I think I can still get the truck plenty low with the front fenders a little lower.

The next piece of the puzzle I need is a motor/trans. I'm thinking a 5.3 LS motor should work just fine. Anybody know what year model is easiest to swap into a hot rod?

The best thing to do is look for one of those out of a pick up or van (make sure it's a 5.3, not a 4.8). You can make big power with a cam and intake swap, and if you troll some of the LSx forums or craigslist you can usually pick up a decent set of LS heads. The ones from pick ups and vans go cheap because everyone wants one that was listed on the window sticker as an LSx. They are almost all the same like SBC's. Just different placement of the accessories. GM now sells them as crate motors with plug & play setups. I don't know if you could get just the plug & play wiring & ECM from GM instead of stripping out the wiring from an old vehicle. It's not a huge PIA, but would be a lot easier & quicker if you could get the setup from GM. You could always go with a carb & dizzy. It will have to have a crank trigger setup, but I would prefer to have the FI myself.

Easiest is the 01-02 5.3L from a silverado because it has a cable operated throttle body. You can uase the 03-05 ones but then you have to get the TAC module and the throttle pedal assembly as well because the T body is drive by wire. If you are fine with wiring then the second choice is better because then you can hook up cruise control with no more than adding the switches (cruise is handled all within then PCM on those years) Up here you can get a 5.3L complete with all harnesses and accesories from Bow Auto for about $700 with a warranty. If you look on craigslist you can get them for near $300.

A 4.8L is not a bad choice either becauce they are super cheap ($250 for a complete unit) and can still be in the 275 - 300 HP range with a cam and tune. Or stuff a turbo on it for a reliable 450-500hp.

later 5.3L had the same head castings as the early LS6 motors just without the light valves (#243). if you can find one an 05 L33 (or B for the 8th digit of the VIN) is an aluminum block motor and has 10.2:1 comp (as opposed to 9.8 reg 5.3) and a better cam. rated at 315 hp stock and 70 lbs lighter.

Beware of some of the 03-05 4.8/5.3 motors with the 791 heads as they has an issue with cracking around the head bolt boss and would leak coolant very slowly into the oil. Usually people would complain of coolant loss and can't find the leak. The heads had an X cast into them inside the valve cover area. Hope this helps. [P

Easiest is the 01-02 5.3L from a silverado because it has a cable operated throttle body. You can uase the 03-05 ones but then you have to get the TAC module and the throttle pedal assembly as well because the T body is drive by wire. If you are fine with wiring then the second choice is better because then you can hook up cruise control with no more than adding the switches (cruise is handled all within then PCM on those years) Up here you can get a 5.3L complete with all harnesses and accesories from Bow Auto for about $700 with a warranty. If you look on craigslist you can get them for near $300.

A 4.8L is not a bad choice either becauce they are super cheap ($250 for a complete unit) and can still be in the 275 - 300 HP range with a cam and tune. Or stuff a turbo on it for a reliable 450-500hp.

later 5.3L had the same head castings as the early LS6 motors just without the light valves (#243). if you can find one an 05 L33 (or B for the 8th digit of the VIN) is an aluminum block motor and has 10.2:1 comp (as opposed to 9.8 reg 5.3) and a better cam. rated at 315 hp stock and 70 lbs lighter.

Beware of some of the 03-05 4.8/5.3 motors with the 791 heads as they has an issue with cracking around the head bolt boss and would leak coolant very slowly into the oil. Usually people would complain of coolant loss and can't find the leak. The heads had an X cast into them inside the valve cover area. Hope this helps. [P

Thanks. That is the kinda info I need.

What is a TAC module (and where is it located)?

Great looking truck with the long box. Just enough different to stand out.

jfg455, great information on the late model engines.

Sorry guys. Sometimes I forget not everyone is up on their LS nomenclature![cl

TAC = Throttle Actuated Control

TAC module will be located on the firewall just to the outside of the brake booster up near the top. It is about 4" X 6" X 1" thick and has 2 connectors going to it. Make sure you grab the jumper harness that runs from the module to the throttle pedal as well.

I keep saying I will do a thread in the engine section to cover all of this but life gets in the way.

I struck a deal for a 2001 5.3/4L60e off of craigslist. I go pick it up tomorrow.

How does the shifter work on a 4L60E? Is it all electrical? or does it manually move a lever like a TH350?

I ended up picking it up last night...I couldn't wait [dr

I got the engine w/front accessories (minus fan), harness, ecm, trans, drive shaft, and gas tank.

I need to hunt down some exhaust head pipes w/ O2 sensors (he sold the exhaust to a buddy)

I sent my ECM off last week to be re-flashed. Hopefully it will show up this week. I'm gonna try to install my motor this weekend. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do for motor mounts. Right now the stock chevy mounts are bolted to the motor. I will probably try to use those, I guess. The Dakota frame had already been relieved of its stock mounts (previous owner was gonna go early hemi).

I use a GM truck rear shackle sometimes. I trim it and weld to the frame and then just make a motor side plate. Then you just have a simple 1 bolt mount setup. Shackles are like $11

So,did you get er picked up ? If so you know that the trans is mechanically operated lever type with a NSBU switch around the shaft. The LS engine are truly a sweet setup and have HUGE power potential !

So,did you get er picked up ? If so you know that the trans is mechanically operated lever type with a NSBU switch around the shaft. The LS engine are truly a sweet setup and have HUGE power potential !

It's the whole E part of 4L60E that I don't understand exactly how works...

...and I am really looking forward to seeing how the 5.3 does. I'm hoping for decent gas mileage, A/C and driveability more than quarter mile times. I want to make some cross country drives in this truck.

IMG_6248 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ah yes, the "E" part-Basically it just means it has an electric valve body. All the shifts are controlled be the transmission's "brain" if you will telling certain solenoids to open or close,as well as the overdrive,and lockup controls.

Latest posts

Back