Motorhome as a donor vehicle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By any chance, does anyone have experience with the wiring required for an Allison MD3060 six speed automatic transmission?

The wiring harness in the motorhome is like 40 feet long. I am curious if there will be many important connections between the driver's seat area and the transmission. What are the odds that I can cut 36 feet out of the middle and but splice it back together?

I would ID every circuit 1st, cut the harness where you have enough for the recipient, then resplice only where you need to. Keep the extra wire not used in the harness on the recipient for future uses. I'm sure not all motor homes are the same on routing but things get real busy around the inverter system..
There will be like-colored wires which are used in many circuits. That's why it's best to ID everything first. That would be a job but well worth it in time later on. Mark the bundle and the colors. Keep what you salvage, they didn't scrimp on wire gauge or quality.

Best bet would be to remove the harness without cutting it. Unplug where you can and mark the connecting plugs so as to be able to get them back together. Sometimes colors change at plugs. I recently worked on a Peterbuilt and there was a harness we were trying to trace wires in and they all changed to a beige color that were numbered in number so small and fuzzy that it was impossible for me to read them.

Latest posts

Back