Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Interior Q&A, photos etc!

Interior Q&A, photos etc! Stuff for the interior! Seats, dashes, flooring, door panels... you name it!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2022, 07:54 AM
Old Stuff's Avatar
Old Stuff Old Stuff is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 263
Question Making your own comfortable seat

I looked through the other interior threads and didn't see what I'm looking for....

If a fella wanted to build his own small bench seat (for the '30), where to start?
Is there a kinda pre-fabbed seat "shape" with the right density that you don't need springs? Etc, etc.....

Would I be better off by giving myself the Jedi hand wave and say, "You need to go home and rethink you're life".............. and just get a minivan middle bench seat and be done?
__________________
Charlie
My '30 Chevy truck build: https://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38957

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he can not loose."Jim Elliot
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2022, 09:03 AM
soltz's Avatar
soltz soltz is offline
The Rat Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bloomfield, N.M.
Posts: 6,071
Talking

Im going to try doing my simple small bench seat? 1/2. Plywood, good foam and start sewing Well see
Good with yours!
__________________
Be Safe
and
Be Creative
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2022, 11:03 AM
BillM's Avatar
BillM BillM is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,827
Default

The cab on my 48 is fairly narrow, although not likely as narrow as yours. I used the middle seat out of a Cadillac SRX (the mid size SUV - probably mid 2000's?) I liked it as it came with the tracks for adjustment, both seat backs tilt forward, and the passenger seat even flops over forward so I can utilize the space underneath. I had an upholsterer buddy removed the headrests before recovering. It worked well for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2022, 12:39 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Older and more rusted every day!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Tejas
Posts: 13,978
Default

I used these bomber seat frames from Winter fab to make the bench seat in my coupe! Just put plywood between them, put 2-3" of foam & cover them... bingo!

https://www.winterfabonline.com/prod...4-pieces-total

BoB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench.jpg (78.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg interior.jpg (129.4 KB, 30 views)
__________________
Rust... Mother Nature's paint job... don't fool with Mother Nature!

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2022, 02:00 PM
Couper's Avatar
Couper Couper is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 976
Default

Very Nice Tripper!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2022, 08:47 PM
Couper's Avatar
Couper Couper is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 976
Default

I didn't do the bottom, but did the back. My dakota club cab had just a 8" or so wide pad running from side to side. I wanted to make the back look like a full seat and sorta coc-pit like. I stacked plywood and different thickness of dense foam and had my upholstery guy do it up. The upper piece is fiberglass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8981.jpg (107.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2022, 08:52 PM
bob w bob w is offline
Still crazy after all these years!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 12,917
Default

Tripper, that interior was some kind of special.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2022, 07:57 AM
Old Stuff's Avatar
Old Stuff Old Stuff is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltz View Post
Im going to try doing my simple small bench seat? 1/2. Plywood, good foam and start sewing Well see
Good with yours!
Between this............

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The cab on my 48 is fairly narrow, although not likely as narrow as yours. I used the middle seat out of a Cadillac SRX (the mid size SUV - probably mid 2000's?) I liked it as it came with the tracks for adjustment, both seat backs tilt forward, and the passenger seat even flops over forward so I can utilize the space underneath. I had an upholsterer buddy removed the headrests before recovering. It worked well for me.
........and something like this.
All my electrical will be under the seat which will need full access to. My thinking started out- fixed back with a hinged in front flip up seat. What Bill is using has possibilities as well. Things to toss around.
__________________
Charlie
My '30 Chevy truck build: https://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38957

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he can not loose."Jim Elliot
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2022, 08:06 AM
Old Stuff's Avatar
Old Stuff Old Stuff is offline
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I used these bomber seat frames from Winter fab to make the bench seat in my coupe! Just put plywood between them, put 2-3" of foam & cover them... bingo!

https://www.winterfabonline.com/prod...4-pieces-total

BoB
That's the ticket. Kinda sets the bar if I'm going to run it myself. I like the back rest- looks thick enough to be comfortable but not too thick- especially thinking about leg room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper View Post
I didn't do the bottom, but did the back. My dakota club cab had just a 8" or so wide pad running from side to side. I wanted to make the back look like a full seat and sorta coc-pit like. I stacked plywood and different thickness of dense foam and had my upholstery guy do it up. The upper piece is fiberglass.
The back rest on the back set makes me think about incorporating a head rest of sorts. The only thing behind my head will be a wall and was wondering on that as well.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
__________________
Charlie
My '30 Chevy truck build: https://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38957

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he can not loose."Jim Elliot
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.