Vargo Dragway

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know they still have the reunion once a year. One of the guys in the car club I belong to (Wheels of Time) is usually promoting it at our meetings as it gets closer. I can check with him if knows of any old time pics....he just might

Thanks Ron! I've been to a couple of shows there, just haven't had the time the last couple of years. I hope to be there with the A this year. I'd like to see some old photos from some of the action. Alot of the big names from back in the day raced there, at Island dragway, and York. Unfortunately, I was too young to go to the races, being born in `61. My Pop did take me to Vargo once, when I was 5 or 6. I have very vague memories. I know K.S.Pittman actually married the old man Vargo's daughter from some of the stories I've heard. The place actually has a cool history. If anyone has a story to share, please do!!!

K.S. Pittman, and Bruce Larson are among those who raced there. I trying to remember some of the other names. How many can we come up with??

Sox & Martin, Grumpy Jenkins, Gas Ronda , Phil Bonner "Daddy Warbucks", Bill Flynn "Yankee Peddler", and I think Jungle Jim since he was a local. But, I don't know if he came along too late. Vargo closed in `69.

Here's a couple pics I found.

Attachments

• eastern drag news.jpg
    eastern drag news.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 10
  • vargo dragway.jpg
    vargo dragway.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 9
I found some more stuff!!

Attachments

• Vargo1.jpg
    Vargo1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7
  • vargo2.jpg
    vargo2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
  • vargo3.jpg
    vargo3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
  • vargo4.jpg
    vargo4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
  • vargo5.jpg
    vargo5.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
Cool time slip. These were delivered to the drivers via the rain spout on the tower!

Attachments

• vargo6.jpg
    vargo6.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
  • vargo7.jpg
    vargo7.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 10
Google search found these.

Attachments

• VargoDragway1963.jpg
    VargoDragway1963.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 10
  • VargoDragway1963a.jpg
    VargoDragway1963a.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 7
  • vargo9.jpg
    vargo9.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Guys!! Here's a couple of "Piewagon" at the original starting line. I took these at one of the reunion shows.

Attachments

• vargo piewagon.jpg
    vargo piewagon.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 5
  • vargo piewagon2.jpg
    vargo piewagon2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
K.S. Pittman, and Bruce Larson are among those who raced there. I trying to remember some of the other names. How many can we come up with??

I'm glad you mentioned Bruce Larson....he comes to our show almost every year, and we (as a club) go out to his museum most every year for his open house...I bet he has some pics from "back in the day" I'll have to check and see if he has anything he can share.

Here's more I found!

Attachments

• vargo11.jpg
    vargo11.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 9
  • vargo12.jpg
    vargo12.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 7
  • vargo13.jpg
    vargo13.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 7
  • vargo14.jpg