Old Fridges??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Hey.

Been trying to redo our Kitchen into a sorta retro type and found an old 1948 GE (i believe) fridge. Its electric and looks beautiful and they cook everyday on it. Im wondering are these fire safe? Meaning are they prone to issues because of age? Ive heard yes but ive also heard that the stoves made around ww2 are better than todays stoves. Anyone know???? Tnx, RR

I won't bust on ya RR...I figure the medication will kick in soon and you'll realize you meant stove for cooking and fridge for cooling

Cooking on a fridge.... at least you can lift heavy things....

It may just be because the wiring gets old. May be able to re-wire and be fine. You'd need the right sheathed wire I would guess - the stuff with the heat resistant covering. Might need to check the switches, elements, and such too.

if you are cooking on your fridge i would guess yes it has a fire issue
Hey.

Been trying to redo our Kitchen into a sorta retro type and found an old 1948 GE (i believe) fridge. Its electric and looks beautiful and they cook everyday on it. Im wondering are these fire safe? Meaning are they prone to issues because of age? Ive heard yes but ive also heard that the stoves made around ww2 are better than todays stoves. Anyone know???? Tnx, RR

If your thinking bout an old stove, not fridge, then yes they can be safe. they are heavier than new ones because of heavy steel construction and heavier fire resistent wiring. push button controls are fine if they work, check all heat ranges. the burners can be fire hazard if they are "slide in" and collect grease at the connection. Pull a stove top element out to determine how it is wired, check connections, slide in type with bracket mounted to stove top must be grounded via the small mounting screw, again check for grease. Others have a large hard plastic connector "box" that contains the connection, again safe if clean. Can be hard to find parts for ( switches and burners are most likely to fail) the only other thing you might check is the connection going to the oven element it can become weak over all the years at the element.
That should do it so to answer your question yes they can be just as safe as new ones, and no fancy $285.00 computer gizmo to worry about These stoves were often financed through the manufacture, and were built to last lifetimes no be disposable and replaced like the ones of today.

If you are going to cook with a fridge, then disregard my previous post. lay it on it face (doors) plug it in and you may be able to warm things on the cooling coils that are now facing up, this will cause all the oil to run out of the compresser, but there should'nt be a fire.
For a handy bar-b-que lay it on the now destroyed coils open the doors and you will find ample space for your fire. Let smoke clear out a bit before putting meat on, then prop the door closed to retain smoke, and heat for your grilling.
On a two door refridge it is recommended that pork go in the larger of the two "fire boxes" with beef into the smaller one, however you also have the option of using the small compartment for bar-b-que tool's.
it would be my suggestion that your appliance be unplugged for this use, so as to lessen fire danger. Also first use in this manner should be done outside, according to manufacture.
Hope this answers all your questions.

Funny stuff G.R.!
lol.gif

ratrodney,
Glad we could be of assistance in helping with all your home remodeling questions. you did not clarify stove, or fridge.
maybe next week we should cover using your dishwasher as a parts steam cleaner, or "drying cats in the microwave, low temp? or medium heat?"
maybe "roofing repair remodel, blue tarp? or corrugated metal?"
anyways have a good LOL,,,,,,,,,I did.

RR - that mistake was worth making just for this answer!

If you are going to cook with a fridge, then disregard my previous post. lay it on it face (doors) plug it in and you may be able to warm things on the cooling coils that are now facing up, this will cause all the oil to run out of the compresser, but there should'nt be a fire.
For a handy bar-b-que lay it on the now destroyed coils open the doors and you will find ample space for your fire. Let smoke clear out a bit before putting meat on, then prop the door closed to retain smoke, and heat for your grilling.
On a two door refridge it is recommended that pork go in the larger of the two "fire boxes" with beef into the smaller one, however you also have the option of using the small compartment for bar-b-que tool's.
it would be my suggestion that your appliance be unplugged for this use, so as to lessen fire danger. Also first use in this manner should be done outside, according to manufacture.
Hope this answers all your questions.

[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl (Standing Ovation)
Job well done Sir!

Well back to your point (I believe), which was vintage stoves. They work GREAT. We have a '52 Frigidaire model in our kitchen. Not only does it look cool ,but it works excellent. What you heard is correct, especially about the oven. They are much better insulated than newer models, and they hold and conduct heat great. My wife is very serious about her cooking and she LOVES it!

They are pretty simple in their setup, so a brief inspection of the wiring & such should get you there. Ours sat in a barn for nearly 20 years. I took it home, took off all the access panels, cleaned it all, inspected the wiring and carefully put it back together. A quick test and it was off and running. Even the clock, lamp & timer work great. It gets loads of compliments and we love it. I just sold a early 50's G.E. model recently, and the new owner loves it too. Good luck with it!

Here's a pic of ours...

CIMG1526.jpg

And here is the one I sold...

3m33ob3la5V65U05X5abgee1a5914b9871dd6.jpg

I just came upon this thread and thought it had a different direction...... a friend of mine years ago made the body for his VW buggy out of old fridges, even used a couple freezer doors for the doors on it.
A guy a few years ago in B.C. built a roadster from fridge metal and had a cool old Fridgidaire emblem on the dash. To top it off, he used the serial/model number tag off of one and in a weak moment a lazy or naive DMV employee allowed it to be registered as a Fridgidaire!!
When I get back from AZ in March, I'll dig up some pics of it.

BTW, great old ranges, B.E.D.

Latest posts

Back