Street Outlaws TV Show.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Did anyone catch the first episode of a new TV show on Discovery called Street Outlaws ? It is about a group of street racers in Oklahoma. I watched it, at least most of it, but some things disturbed me about the people on it.

Most of them are grown men with wives and children, and a lot of them have been caught racing and some have even done time over it. Yet they keep doing it and one guy proudly says he makes his wife work extra hours to make enough to pay the bills so he can keep racing. He also has them living in an RV on their property because he is too busy with his racing to finish fixing up the house so his family has something more than an RV bed to sleep on at night. :mad: His wife says she has been married to him for 20 years, and she must be as dumb as him to put up with a life like that.

I finally couldn't take it any more and switched channels. How any TV producer can think people who A) Break the law by street racing, and B) Are such bums that they think of themselves before their families, are something we want to look up to, I can't imagine. They said one of the guys who was featured on the show met an "untimely death" before the program aired, and I bet it had something to do with his street racing. For any mature married man to expose his wife and kids to the possibility he will die and leave them alone is simply irresponsible.

Yes, I realize street racing goes on, and yes, we all like to have a little fun at red lights occasionally, but I bet every man on here puts his family first and their dumb hobbies second. I just can't watch people who I have no respect for. I realize it is a show, but it is based on what these guys are actually doing.

Don

I didn't watch it but my son did. He said it was "super fake".

In my experience, some of the crap the guys do is hyped up by the producer.
I was involved a little bit with a reality tv show called "I'll try anything once". They had Tore (a African American tv show host on BET) travel the country doing crazy hobbies. They had him run a demo derby with my friends and I. One of my friends built the car he ran and was part of the show. The crap they asked us to do was laughable at times. They tried to make us look like a bunch of toothless hillwamps.

I watched it a few. One guy was talking about finding a safe place to race at. How about a race track???? Legal, safe and $6.00 track burgers. Those are the type of people that brag about how quick and fast their car is but will not go to a track to prove it. I would say that if they did, they would be dissapointed the the car/truck is not as quick as they thought it would be. Another show to promote street racing is NOT what needs to be on TV. Too many kids will think it cool to do it until someone gets hurt or worse. JMHO.
Tim

I did not see the show, and am thinking that's a good thing!

Don I agree, people who put their hobbies before the family's basic needs are simply irresponsible, and when these clowns put shows on tv like this it makes me want to sue them for endangering the welfare of minors! after all, who do they think the show appeals to anyway? the "fast and furious" crowd needs to learn what a drag strip is for and use it, not more tricks & tips on breaking the law

"epic fail"

don the very reason i don't have a finished hot rod or a race car is my family and home, and i will be married 29 years this aug. my grandkids live with us, and we get what ever they need and put ours to the side, maybe one day.

That was what bothered me the most, these "grown men" are so much into their street racing that they dump tens of thousands of dollars into their 1000 hp drag cars while their families aren't being taken care of. The one guy said if it came down to paying his mortgage or having the money to race his mortgage would take second place. :confused:

Several of them said they are on probation now for street racing and if they get caught again they are going to jail. Great security for your wife and kids, knowing Dad may be locked up because he is so immature his priorities are screwed up.

And people wonder why their kids grow up with problems. :rolleyes:

Don

I watched all of it. Kinda' like watching a train wreck, you know it's not going to end well but you can't look away. I was just as appalled as you Don. Totally floored by their selfish attitude. My wife would leave me asap if I ever tried to pull anything like that. It really is sad that TV has come to such a level that they are showing illegal potentially deadly activities.
The guy that met an "untimely death" (Flip) committed suicide. I don't know the whole story but I do know he took his own life. Just sad.

farmtruck and azn for the WIN!

street-outlaws-behind_ep101_005.jpg

The guy that met an "untimely death" (Flip) committed suicide. I don't know the whole story but I do know he took his own life. Just sad.

My wife and I actually assumed his tragic death was a rollover out racing, as far out of shape they were getting some of the cars on the show....

Being from oklahoma it was pretty embarassing honestly..I was waiting for them to go noodling while the tornado was coming..I've met a few of those guys and they do take their street racing very seriously..but the show had a bunch of typical fake tv drama..

I watched it all, the show is staged, but I liked it. I am a lowlife street racer, always will be. I don't like paying $50 or more for entry fee's and getting 3 runs. and sometimes, you have to put day to day struggles aside, and enjoy life. I have many times spent money on hobbies, movies, date night, or whatever it is you enjoy doing, because without an outlet, chances are you will go crazy, or kill your spouse, beat your dog.... granted, I sold my street racer to have money to buy a house for my family. I did watch a 38 year old guy, who happens to be the inventor of the solar battery,with his wife there, and watching, lose control of his 900hp car while street racing. he died, and it did affect me very much, but he loved street racing, and his wife was by his side always, not a thing wrong with that.

Watched two minutes of it and moved on. Super scripted BS.

Anymore, about the only way you might see a show that is close to real is if it is done by an amateur and all filmed before it is picked up and aired.

I watched the first 15 mins of it and had to turn it off. The "cops" turned on their lights about 1/2 mile away, driving slowly to the scene and magically ALL the cars got loaded onto trailers and sped away before they could arrive. Wow, those are some Nascar-quality crews and they must have 1000hp tow vehicles too!! Did you guys notice the 5 huge generator-powered light trailers all along the track? Talk about fake. Buzzer sound, next!

I agree, they seemed like total wretches. I can't watch it.

Reminded me of that show about the demo derby guys, not sure if that's still on. One of the main guys spends every waking hour working on his junker, while the wife is out there on the riding mower with a baby in her lap mowing the grass thats 3 feet high. Sad.

Hehe, "you might be a redneck if you are always working on your demo derby car while the wife is on the tractor with baby on her lap." That is a new one Jeff Foxworthy can use. :D

Don

I watched the first 15 mins of it and had to turn it off. The "cops" turned on their lights about 1/2 mile away, driving slowly to the scene and magically ALL the cars got loaded onto trailers and sped away before they could arrive. Wow, those are some Nascar-quality crews and they must have 1000hp tow vehicles too!! Did you guys notice the 5 huge generator-powered light trailers all along the track? Talk about fake. Buzzer sound, next!

I agree, they seemed like total wretches. I can't watch it.

Reminded me of that show about the demo derby guys, not sure if that's still on. One of the main guys spends every waking hour working on his junker, while the wife is out there on the riding mower with a baby in her lap mowing the grass thats 3 feet high. Sad.

The show with a guy named Raybo that would tear up and cry because he loved the demo derby soo much? More inbred than redneck.
Tim

i saw it was coming on the other day, but after what everyone said about i just kept changing the channel.

Latest posts

Back