Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much for taking the day off....

The very first thing this morning I could tell it would not be a good idea to stay in the house all day with my loving bride. Some thing had her panties in a wad and I'm smart enough to save my own arse so I went to the shop!!

I guess we're all entitled to a bad day once in a while.

To make the curve in the patch panel to square off the back of the cab, I made my version of Gene Whitfields pipe anvil. I made it to mount in the receiver on my support post/engine stand vertically for storage. The pipe anvil made it pretty simple to match the curve on the back of the cab.

I got the driver side pieced together and will match the passenger side to it next.

Attachments

• IMG-3171.jpg
    IMG-3171.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-3172.jpg
    IMG-3172.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-3160.jpg
    IMG-3160.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-3163.jpg
    IMG-3163.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-3166.jpg
    IMG-3166.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-3169.jpg
    IMG-3169.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-3170.jpg
    IMG-3170.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 33
Thanks all. One step at a time.

The Pipe Anvil is such a simple thing that works really well. Gene Whitfield has always impressed me with his talents done with basic hand tools.

I fore see a redone trans tunnel and running boards for the Willys with my new tool.

That support post in my shop has many uses. I have used it for everything from a pipe vise, an engine stand, a pipe bender, a grinder mount and now a pipe anvil. Just slide a piece of 2" square tubing into the receiver.
And to think I considered taking it out when I converted my pole barn to a full fledged shop.

I like the bender tool so much, Pops, that I will 'borrow' it also.

I like your mounting system a bunch. I will use it for something... besides hooking up a trailer.

:D [cl :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Glad I could share.

I got the driver side corner cut up some more, filler piece made and finished up this morning.

The pipe anvil made short work of the other rear corner of the cab. I can see that I will use it quite a bit. I was smart enough to learn from the 1st side and made the 2nd one in one piece. Well almost, I had to make a small triangle piece for the forward part of the angle.

I got it all spotted in and ran out of gas for the welder. More welding and grinding tomorrow.
That damn black tar undercoating makes for sorry welding conditions but I've just about got it whipped.
You can see the black smoke on the seam where I spotted it together.

Attachments

• IMG-3178.jpg
    IMG-3178.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-3179.jpg
    IMG-3179.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-3180.jpg
    IMG-3180.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-3181.jpg
    IMG-3181.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-3182.jpg
    IMG-3182.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 33
Nice job. I took your borrowed idea a while back too. The receiver hitch hookup is holding one of my big vices right now and expect to do a post similar to yours for other tools in another section of the barn, Real handy!

Latest posts

Back