A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, OI, I don't even like cleaning out the gun after the big jobs, so I have some rattle cans for the small stuff. It's looking good that if I spray clear over the part right after the colour paint when it's still wet, then the part looks shiny for quite a while, [I don't know how long though].

28, I'm waiting on parts to fix the '36 Ford truck, so when they finally come in that will get finished. Then I plan on bringing in the '56 Ford car and pulling the transmission and clutch to find one more starter drive tooth. Hopefully, that tooth's removal will stop a vibration. Both those vehicles require the hoist, so when they're done, I will bring in the '34 Dodge Brothers truck again and get to work on it, on the hoist.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 13
28, I was scared that I'd bore you if I told you about the '34 Plymouth coupe that's half done and the '68 Super Bee that needs the rebuilt factory motor installed. The list is fairly long.
I made a hydraulic tank bracket for the top of my Massey-Harris today. It took some imagineering and modifications to the the cardboard template, but it's done.
Today, near suppertime, I heard a screech when I was grinding this bracket. I stopped and listened again, nothing, so I ground on. Another screech. Maybe the bearings in my relatively new grinder are giving up. I stopped again and after a minute I heard it again. Maybe a bird just outside the big door. It sounded quite close, though. I went to the man door, quickly opened it, and stuck my head out, hoping to scare the bird away. No bird. Hmmmf. As I came in and closed the door there was a shadow flash. Then another screech, this time, a definite, THIEF. Then I found him. There's only one bird that shreeks 'thief' at you while stealing your catfood. A Bluejay. He must have crawled in through the catdoor in my man door. Sometimes my shop cat hits her door so hard it sticks open until I reset it, and I had to do that this morning. Anyhow I opened the big door and the bluejay flew out into the darkness.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3012.jpg
    IMG_3012.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 15
MM -- Never bored when it comes to Hot Rods, Muscle Cars & Old Tractors.

I have never seen a 34 Plymouth Coupe before, that is going to make a great looking hot rod with that Hemi motor. Hope you build it as a nice driver (NO TRAILER QUEEN).

68 Super Bee with a factory rebuilt motor, not a lot around. Are you the original owner?

Ya we got lots of Blue Jays in Southern, CA. They are the most thieving bird when it comes to cat & dog food. You are right, they talk to you the whole time.

You and family have a nice Holiday.:):):)

Thank you 28, for the Holiday wishes and 'Right back at you' as the truckers would say.
I originally bought the '68 in '72, [so second owner], and then sold it in '78, and bought it back in the bar one night in '80, [so fourth owner, too]. I am giving it to my oldest daughter when I get it running and test-driven, because she thinks she was conceived in it. All of us on this forum brag and say 'we made this car', but on my daughter's T-shirt it could say, 'This car made me'. [if she's telling the truth].
I'm glad I don't bore you, 28, and the '34 Plymouth will not be a trailer queen. I'm not patient or qualified enough to make a trailer queen. They are all alright at a car show, but what good are they to the average guy.

No tractor work today as I went to an Old Folks Home and recited Cowboy Poetry. :eek:

Last edited:
MM -- Good for you on Hot Rods being drivers and doing some time at the "old folks home" [cl[cl[cl

Come to think of it most all of use on the site fall into that "old folks" term.

Holiday Wishes to all reading MM's thread.

Bruno, I have had a talk with her; my cat is like ----- other cats, she doesn't listen well. I'm just healing up from trying to train her to use the kitty-litter box I made, so she doesn't have to go outside or behind the welding bench. She can go outside through the cat door, but I've blocked the inner swing of the door so nothing can get in, [like stray, feral, territory marking cats, and Bluejays].

Here's a mock up of the hydraulic tank on its stand bracket. There will be 1 3/8 ths inches clearance below the hood. After the picture was taken I took the tank out of there and bored some holes in it and welded in two steel bungs. One bung is for the vent and one is for the return. There already was one in there that I'm going to use as the intake to the pump. I have to put one more in the front to plumb in the filler line.

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 16
MM
Tank looks nice [cl[cl

Cats don't go after Blue Jays as they will more than likely will try to peck the cats eyes out. [ddd[ddd

Every time I welded in another bung in the tank, I thought I should have even more. Now it looks like a pincushion. There's a suction hole, a return bung, a filler bung, a vent one, and a gauge one too. For the gauge, I'll just run a clear tube up from the bottom bung to a 'T' in the vent line. Here's the tank, 'bunged up', sanded and in primer.
I've done some imagineering on how to mount the hydraulic oil filter and now I've started to fabricate the bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 11
Yes, Tripper, I understand your wants; hydraulics are a very nice invention.
Dutch, I don't know that cows with multiple, fluid flowing bungs were the inspiration of farm tractors with hydraulic tanks, ---- but if you say so. :D

Building a hotrod is sometimes, two steps forward and one step back. Well, I've had that, recently. I had dropped the hydraulic tank just after I primed it so a bunch of dirt and little pieces of ripped cardboard were stuck to it. So I let it dry, sanded it off and reprimed it with high build primer, re-sanded it, and then painted it.
The tank stand had to be taken back off the tractor so I could weld on the filter bracket and trim some pieces off it so the filter plumbing would fit.
Over the last few days we got a foot of snow, so that took some time to rearrange.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back