Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reunited

Dave and Jerry came over to help load up the dragster for a trip to the strip tomorrow. While they were here I figured I'd use the extra muscle to put the Crosley body back on the chassis.

It's embarrassing, three exchanges at the auto parts store trying to get a correct length serpentine belt and I'm still not there.

Attachments

• reunited 001.jpg
    reunited 001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 31
  • reunited 002.jpg
    reunited 002.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 30
  • reunited 003.jpg
    reunited 003.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
It's embarrassing, three exchanges at the auto parts store trying to get a correct length serpentine belt and I'm still not there.

Don't let that bother you, three trips is about average for a serpentine belt.
It took me 7 trips to the store to get the right one for the A/C unit I put in a '48 Chevy pickup here a while back :D
I bet someone else could give us guidelines on how to get the right one on the first or second trip.

Easy way to get the correct serpentine belt, or at least get close---

Get the longest old belt you can find. Cut in two. Then, drill one hole in one end, on the other end, drill a series of holes spaced out 1/2" and mark a line across the belt with a yellow or white paint pen at each hole. Use a 1/4" bolt and nut to fasten the two belt ends together.

To measure, route the belt around the pulleys, making sure the rotation of each is correct. It helps if you can take the pressure off the tensioner and hold it at about the halfway point { if it's a spring tensioner} . Then take the belt ends, have your bolt through the single hole end, and stretch the other end as tight as you can by hand and push the bolt through the closest hole you can, shorter is usually better if you have 1/2 tensioner travel as the belt will stretch a bit. Put the nut on the bolt, then remove the complete belt. Then, measure with a tape from the end of the belt with the bolt to the nearest cross line on the other end. You can add or subtract a 1/4" or so if needed to get a standard length belt that is in stock, the tensioner will make up the difference.

I used a hockey skate lace but it was way off. Your method would be good Bamamav, except I didn't have an old belt. Anyhoo, what you see here is my 4th attempt. I was trying to fit it in on the passenger side. Nothing worked. Here are tabs welded to the frame on the driver's side and it seems to be okay. The engine is solid mounted so dimensions shouldn't change. I have a fair amount of fore and aft adjustment so the belt should ride correctly.
I painted the white circles on the doors so my grandson Matthew can paint some turkey heads in them. Sorta like the example shown (clipart).

Attachments

• alt mt 001.jpg
    alt mt 001.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 30
  • alt mt 002.jpg
    alt mt 002.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 31
  • alt mt 004.jpg
    alt mt 004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 31
  • istockphoto-618335700-1024x1024[1].jpg
    istockphoto-618335700-1024x1024[1].jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 25
Okay, this is how I balance wheels. First remove all the wheel bearing grease from one front wheel breaing set. Clean the spindle too. Add a small amount of light oil like sewing machine oil. Put the drum on and tighten very carefully, No play but not tight. Spin the wheel and where it stops, place a mark on the top of the tire. Repeat 4 or more times until a pattern develops. See the white marks in the first pic. That is the lightest area. I tape 1 ounce of peel and stick weights on and spin the wheel several times, making minor adjustments in weight and placement. When the wheel spinning results in random stops, meaning the weighted portion can stop anywhere, I figure it's balanced.
I did the dragster this way and it goes through the traps "hands free" at 118 mph.

Attachments

• Balance 001.jpg
    Balance 001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Balance 002.jpg
    Balance 002.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm auditioning turkeys for door art. I did this one. I'm betting my grandson Matthew can do better.

Attachments

• turkey 001.jpg
    turkey 001.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 26
More small jobs keep popping up. Packed the wheel bearings, Set the toe in. See the measurement tool I made. Mounted the overflow bottle. Made a water inlet for the block. And other stuff I don't remember.
It's been hot and humid and I don't last long each day.

Attachments

• mpsc 001.jpg
    mpsc 001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20
  • mpsc 002.jpg
    mpsc 002.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 22
  • mpsc 003.jpg
    mpsc 003.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
Time marches on.

Had 12 teeth pulled this morning. On the road to an upper denture. Ick. But it had to be done. Quite a bit of bleeding. Yes, there's pain.
Father Time is chasing after me with a vengeance.
This will take me off the playing field for a day or two.
You know, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars at dentists and periodontists and this is the end result.
Eat soft foods they say. How can I eat anything with my mouth stuffed full of gauze?
I hope y'all have a better day than I'm having.

Time marches on.

Had 12 teeth pulled this morning. On the road to an upper denture. Ick. But it had to be done. Quite a bit of bleeding. Yes, there's pain.
Father Time is chasing after me with a vengeance.
This will take me off the playing field for a day or two.
You know, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars at dentists and periodontists and this is the end result.
Eat soft foods they say. How can I eat anything with my mouth stuffed full of gauze?
I hope y'all have a better day than I'm having.

Hey Bob,
Hope your mouth feels better soon. I'm noooo fan of the dentist. I've got loose gum pockets...the spaces are 6's & 8's. They had to pull 1 tooth right in the middle on the bottom. Looked like the holloween pumpkin until the dentist made me this flipper thing. So now I can smile but it ain't for chewing.
You getting full plates or implants or you just gona gum it?
Anyway feel better pal
Couper

After the oral surgeon pulled them an upper denture was put in place over all the wounds. Supposed to heal that way. I'm on blood thinners so it was pretty messy. Ruined a couple T shirts.

OH bob, how I feel your pain. Like you, I spent a small fortune on my teeth over the years, then grrr got a whole mouth full of fakers.
Wishing you the best with yours, uppers not so bad, lowers most people have trouble with keeping them in. I got lucky there both of mine worked out pretty
good.

Jeez Bob, having a mouth full of originals, I can't imagine what you're going thru :eek: Trouble is meds that really work make you goofy :D Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
FBP, I'd think you'd had a hard time keeping a straight face talking about your teeth given your avatar pic :D[ddd

I figured I'd rekindle memories for some of you guys. Bleeding stopped. Don't need the pain pills. Mouth aches more than pains. Living on applesauce and chocolate milk for a bit. And we're having 20 people over for a birthday party today.

On the Crosley front, started putting all the sheet metal panels back. Then, it should be done.

"FBP, I'd think you'd had a hard time keeping a straight face talking about your teeth given your avatar pic :D[ddd"

[cl[cl[cl

Latest posts

Back