Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured I'd rekindle memories for some of you guys. Bleeding stopped. Don't need the pain pills. Mouth aches more than pains. Living on applesauce and chocolate milk for a bit. And we're having 20 people over for a birthday party today.

On the Crosley front, started putting all the sheet metal panels back. Then, it should be done.

Glad your on the mend.... I'm a bleeder myself just from the asprin regimen. I'd prob bleed to death if I was on thinners. If I was there I wouldn't touch the food....I'd eat applesauce & chocolate milk with you.

Still leaking a little blood. Gonna take some time to get okay with this big lump of plastic in my mouth.

Another turkey wandered into the shop today to audition for door art.

Attachments

• Turkey 2 001.jpg
    Turkey 2 001.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Turkey 2 002.jpg
    Turkey 2 002.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 21
Still leaking a little blood. Gonna take some time to get okay with this big lump of plastic in my mouth.

Another turkey wandered into the shop today to audition for door art.

I feel for you bob w, I had mine done three months ago. I described it as having a hockey puck in my mouth.:mad:
I now have a lisp and a whistle :eek:
Hind sight being what it is I don't think I would do it knowing what I do now.:eek:

I like that turkey [cl

I feel for you bob w, I had mine done three months ago. I described it as having a hockey puck in my mouth.:mad:
I now have a lisp and a whistle :eek:
Hind sight being what it is I don't think I would do it knowing what I do now.:eek:

I like that turkey [cl

School's still out, soltz. I did this mainly for the sake of appearance. How vain of me. I doubt it will improve my ability to chew. Yes, I've got the whistle and a constant pressure in my head, like a bunge cord wrapped around at my jaw line.

A while back I got the engine to fire and run for a few seconds. I knew the push rods were too long but thought it wouldn't be a major issue just to run it a bit. How wrong I was.:(
Been trying to get it to run for a few days now without success. Did a compression test and found 4 out of 6 reading very low. Same with a leak down test. Discovered slightly bent push rods. So, there is a problem. Bent valves? Valve hitting pistons? Coil bind? Valve retainers hitting the guides? I'll have an answer soon.[S
Still have very sore gums and losing weight. When I heal completely I believe the denture will fit well. For now, it's a pain in the mouth.

Here's hoping the engine damage is minimal! Back in 2013 just after I got my truck finished I broke a valve spring, so the valve stuck down and bent it when it touched the piston. I got lucky that I found a set of fully rebuilt heads and have had no issues since.

You're Never Too Old To Screw Up

Pulled the head this morning. And, of course some blood was spilled. Just a little.

I used a MLS head gasket for the first time. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it is a multiple layer head gasket. The layers are held together with rivets. I assumed the rivets must compress when torqueing the head. Wrong! The rivets are supposed to be removed. Left in place, they acted as stand offs so the sealing surfaces never met. Hence, little compression. Luckily, no damage.

The $250 custom made push rods that were too short might not be when the head gasket is properly compressed.

Also, I picked up a pair used slicks. 9" wide by 30" tall. They are an inch and a half narrower than the ones on the car. Don't need 'em that wide for the little 6 cylinder.

Attachments

• rivet 001.jpg
    rivet 001.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 16
  • rivet 002.jpg
    rivet 002.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 16
Pulled the head this morning. And, of course some blood was spilled. Just a little.

I used a MLS head gasket for the first time. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it is a multiple layer head gasket. The layers are held together with rivets. I assumed the rivets must compress when torqueing the head. Wrong! The rivets are supposed to be removed. Left in place, they acted as stand offs so the sealing surfaces never met. Hence, little compression. Luckily, no damage.

The $250 custom made push rods that were too short might not be when the head gasket is properly compressed.

Also, I picked up a pair used slicks. 9" wide by 30" tall. They are an inch and a half narrower than the ones on the car. Don't need 'em that wide for the little 6 cylinder.

You might need the wider slicks now that your compression won't be going out the sides. :p

We've all done as dumb or dumber, I'm sure.

Definitely an issue. I like the MLS head gaskets and the rivets are on the outside of the sealing surface on the ones I've use.

Definitely an issue. I like the MLS head gaskets and the rivets are on the outside of the sealing surface on the ones I've use.

I didn't bother to check. I assumed the rivets were placed where they would do no harm. Three of the 5 rivets have to be removed.

Push Rod Panic

The head gasket issue is resolved. The custom push rods I bought are too short. I made a mistake. Remeasured and ordered some inexpensive ones from Summit. They don't work either. The balls on the ends are too large and do not nest in the cup area on the rocker and the lifter. So, it's back to Smith Brothers for some expensive ones. Pretty much got the rest of the car together. I'll finish the engine and good or not, it is going to lay dormant for the fall/winter. Tired of it.
Here's some shots of it before the cover goes on. One with a tall scoop and one with a more reasonable scoop.
Matthew has designed a turkey to go on the doors. "Gaspar Gobbler" Pretty cool.
Now that winter is approaching it's time to get the roadster out. Huh??? Going to try fine tuning the TV cable to improve the shift points. Kinda forgot what it looks like, sitting in a dark corner of the back garage.

Attachments

• store crosley 001.jpg
    store crosley 001.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 41
  • store crosley 004.jpg
    store crosley 004.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 44
  • store crosley 002.jpg
    store crosley 002.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 43
  • store crosley 003.jpg
    store crosley 003.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 35
  • store crosley 005.jpg
    store crosley 005.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 44
  • store crosley 006.jpg
    store crosley 006.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 41
  • gobbleer 001.jpg
    gobbleer 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The beat goes on. And on, and on.
First, let me introduce you to Gaspar Gobbler, the turkey my 11 year old grandson painted on the Crosley door. Not quite finished yet.

Second, I cannot get the Jeep engine to fire. I've done all the usual stuff. Key factor seems to be very low compression. Like 70 psi. I put compressed air in through the spark plug holes and get major leakage into the crankcase. Indicating leakage by the rings. All parts are new. I've assemble dozens of engines. Never had this experience before. The engine doesn't create enough "suck" to pull gas from the carb.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
Rings stuck? A open valve would let air leak out the exhaust or intake.
Have you tried putting a little oil or transmission fluid in the cylinders to see if the compression comes up? I've done that while checking compression on a used motor. Check a cylinder dry first, then put in some oil and check again. If it reads higher, the rings are stuck or worn out. Yours are new, so unless they are undersized, I'd say they stuck over the winter.

That's a head scratcher for sure... Incompatibility between the grade of the hone finish and the rings? Chrome rings can be finniky, cast rings also require a specific hone grade, moly rings are most commonly used because they set quickly and are more forgiving. I know you've done this before, but it matters how you clock the end gaps on the top rings and even on the oil ring scrapers and spacer, different engines recommend different positioning, not familiar with Jeeps...[S:confused:
Oh, Gaspar is super cool, the kid is an artist!! [cl[cl

Latest posts

Back