Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The front crossmember was tilted back which made making a spring perch kinda complicated. Put in a new one behind the old one and cut the original one out. Looks crooked but it isn't. Spent the rest of the afternoon cutting a perch and reinforcing brackets out of plate. It is mocked up at 10 degrees of caster. Welding at 6:00.

Attachments

• perch 002.jpg
    perch 002.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 25
  • perch 003.jpg
    perch 003.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 25
  • perch 004.jpg
    perch 004.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 25
  • perch 005.jpg
    perch 005.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 27
  • perch 001.jpg
    perch 001.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 26
Shaping Up

The spring perch is built and tacked into place. It's got sloppy, worn out shackles on it. They'll need to be replaced before I locate the wishbone mounts. I don't want any slop in the front axle assembly. The car has a history of not going straight so I'm being very particular. On to the steering.

Attachments

• in 001.jpg
    in 001.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 22
  • in 002.jpg
    in 002.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 22
  • in 003.jpg
    in 003.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 21
Small steps

Found this Chevy steering box in my stack of stuff and started to build a mounting bracket for it. It's out of a '30-something car. Feels nice and tight. The guy had a MII front suspension installed and I took the leftovers.
Trying to line it up so I can reuse the steering column that was in the Crosley. Looks like it will fall right in line with the end of the wishbone. Maybe I'll extend the bracket to catch the wishbone mount too.

Attachments

• steer 001.jpg
    steer 001.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 26
  • steer 002.jpg
    steer 002.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 26
  • steer 003.jpg
    steer 003.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 25
  • steer 004.jpg
    steer 004.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 29
You must have a heck of a stash of parts. :D Coming together nicely. [P[P

Thanks for looking and commenting, guys. Not much left in my stack of stuff. Enough for another roadster, I hope.

The pic shows the failures for today. Am trying to fab something up to go from the steering box to the steering wheel. A lesser goal is to use stuff I have laying around and not spend any money.

Just when I thought I was on the right track it was time to go out for Friday night dinner. Went to a place called the Machine Shed. Lots of vintage farming items decorating the place. Reminded me of Doc's throwback pics and summers on my grandfather's turkey farm. I had chicken, not turkey.

Attachments

• fail 001.jpg
    fail 001.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 20
  • fail 002.jpg
    fail 002.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 20
A Little Winning Today

First I made a steering arm that bolts to the front spindle My toes snuck into the picture. Next the big end of the stock pitman arm was removed and tacked to the new homemade arm. One end of the drag link is done. The steering shaft will be permanently welded to the box. There will be no mast on the shaft. Next is the column drop with some sort of split bushing. Gotta leave something for tomorrow.

Attachments

• pit 001.jpg
    pit 001.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 22
  • pit 002.jpg
    pit 002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 22
  • pit 003.jpg
    pit 003.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 21
  • pit 004.jpg
    pit 004.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 22
A Bit 'O Progress

All the steering components are done and so is the welding on them.

A few years ago a friend gave me a dozen 1/4" thick formed U-plates as shown in the pic. I've cut up and used most of them. For this project I used one to make the bracket that mounts the steering box. Another one was cut up to make the mounts that attach the split wishbones to the frame. All cutting done with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel.

Ever weld something and shortly after pick it up with your bare hand? Yup, I did just that today.

Attachments

• putt 001.jpg
    putt 001.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 24
  • putt 002.jpg
    putt 002.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 25
All the steering components are done and so is the welding on them.

A few years ago a friend gave me a dozen 1/4" thick formed U-plates as shown in the pic. I've cut up and used most of them. For this project I used one to make the bracket that mounts the steering box. Another one was cut up to make the mounts that attach the split wishbones to the frame. All cutting done with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel.

Ever weld something and shortly after pick it up with your bare hand? Yup, I did just that today.

There is a member on here that has a signiture that says "HOT THINGS LOOK JUST LIKE COLD THINGS"

All the time. (I hate gloves.)

There is a member on here that has a signature that says "HOT THINGS LOOK JUST LIKE COLD THINGS"

That's offroadrolls line. Some of us should have it posted in the shop, two feet high and twenty two wide. :p

A Sizzler

Pulled the front axle assembly to do some bottom of the chassis welding. The only burn was the red hot BB that found its way into my left ear. Sizzling! Got the radiator mounted and am working on positioning the front tin. Next is getting the front axle installed straight and square.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 21
It's amazing how fast this old man can react when the flesh starts cooking. No welding, no burns today. The front axle is positioned but before the rear wishbone mounts are welded in place I need to install new spring shackles. The assembly is sloppy and the new shackles should be here Monday.
The stock Jeep exhaust is pretty nice. The engine I'm building will need larger diameter and longer primaries. Gonna use the mounting flange from this header for the new header so I started removing the tubes from it. Got one done. It's time consuming removing the welds with a die grinder.

Attachments

• header 002.jpg
    header 002.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 25
  • header 001.jpg
    header 001.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back