Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 03-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

My dad have a big stack of them, hadn't thought about that in eons!

Toad
Old 03-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I've stiil got a pretty good library of them but mostly just loan them out to local hot rodders now that I've downsized mu collection of cars.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:40 PM
Busted and Rusted on Route 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Yes. Diminishing eyesight, memory, strength, hairline, hearing etc. Advancing arthritis, joint pain and wear, hair growing out of ears and nose, etc. are all related to an allergic reaction to the smoke from birthday cake candles.
Man I resemble that remark!

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."

34 Ford Coupe
51 Ford F1
50 Stude Champ
Intro
Old 03-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Had quite a few myself.
I also remember when your local parts counter had 2 or 3 Books on it that were twice as thick as any Big city Phone book(Remember those).
Feeling old.......
Torchie
Old 03-09-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Had quite a few myself.
I also remember when your local parts counter had 2 or 3 Books on it that were twice as thick as any Big city Phone book(Remember those).
Feeling old.......
Torchie
I remember those days, and the guys behind the counter actually knew how to look stuff up in those books.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:52 PM
Rocket Surgeon

We still have a couple parts suppliers with books and people who know to use them...

If you go to one of those suppliers and ask for a phone book, however, you might get a blank stare.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing

Last edited by Dr Crankenstein; 03-09-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:55 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I picked up about 8 or so of the Motor Manuals in an auction a few years back - just kept the two oldest ones (52 & 56, if I remember correctly), and gave the rest of them to my brother to sell for me. But he collects every manual he can get his hands on, so I don't think any of them went back out the door.
Speaking of the catalogs in a parts store, my dad was a service parts man (worked the counter that served the service department - the mechanics) from 56 until 91, and when I was in HS I skipped school a couple of times to help do inventory - counted every bolt & washer. Anyway, they had a rack with the rods running through the books, probably around 3 or 4 feet long. They were just getting started using computers when I was in HS (early mid 70's) - the data was stored on a tape that looked like a cassette. I don't know if the actual tape in those was a different material, or not. Maybe some old-time computer tech would know.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:23 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
We still have a couple parts suppliers with books and people who know to use them...

If you go to one of those suppliers and ask for a phone book, however, you might get a blank stare.

My local guys still have books under the counter, and still drag them out when I stump them with my oddball requests.....

Iíve got a couple of Motors manuals and some Haynes and Clymer manuals for different models too. They are real handy to look up firing orders when you havenít worked on something in a long time. I like the grille pics in the Motors manuals. I have caught an error in them a time or two, but most time they are spot on.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Fascinated by rolling objects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Yes. Diminishing eyesight, memory, strength, hairline, hearing etc. Advancing arthritis, joint pain and wear, hair growing out of ears and nose, etc. are all related to an allergic reaction to the smoke from birthday cake candles.
........................LOL
Old 03-10-2021, 07:01 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I had forgotten about the parts store books. The last of the Mom and Pop closed a couple years back. Now getting parts is all by vehicle. I had a lifted 4x4 and needed shocks. Did research and found the part numbers. Go in the chain store and guy asks vehicle and tells me they wont fit my truck. Jim