Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-27-2021, 09:53 PM
MercuryMac's Avatar
MercuryMac MercuryMac is offline
Builder Junky!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 3,682
Default

My condolences Dozer. A few years ago I lost my Mum in the same way. I also had the conflicting thoughts; she had been your bright eyed bushy-tailed Mum and now she is gone forever, but, she had a terrible disease that caused her suffering and now she's not suffering anymore.
You will do lots of thinking, some of it all jumbled up, over the next few months. My heart goes out to you.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-28-2021, 06:20 AM
DozerII's Avatar
DozerII DozerII is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Saskatchewan Can.
Posts: 3,997
Default

Thanks you so much everyone on here, your comments and thoughts help a lot.
__________________
Glen
My 29 Essex Build http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34026

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-28-2021, 06:29 AM
redidbull's Avatar
redidbull redidbull is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South West CT
Posts: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
Sorry for the loss of your Mom. But when you know it was for the better it doesn't hurt quite as bad.
When my Mom passed in 2012 I thought it was odd that I was not as sad as I always figured I would be. She had Parkinson's for nearly 10 years. I figured it must have been the fact that her suffering was over. I still do miss her and my Dad every day. Jim
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-28-2021, 08:08 AM
dutch dutch is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redidbull View Post
When my Mom passed in 2012 I thought it was odd that I was not as sad as I always figured I would be. She had Parkinson's for nearly 10 years. I figured it must have been the fact that her suffering was over. I still do miss her and my Dad every day. Jim
I can relate to that. Old age is worth nothing if there`s no quality left. My mom was 57 when she died but I was "glad" it was over.
My dad just dropped dead @ 46. That felt unfair. I guess he was needed elsewhere.

I always felt kinda jealous seeing others having fun with old parents and having grandparents for their kids, but they also get the crappy parts of old age...
__________________
He who dies with the most toys wins
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-28-2021, 10:40 AM
bob w bob w is offline
Still crazy after all these years!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 11,026
Default

I'm pretty old, coming up on 80 in a few short months. When you're young, thinking about being old is discouraging. Aging brings on the obvious difficulties and one cannot judge how one will accept the challenges of aging.
I find that loss of strength, reduced vision and hearing along with aches and pain are annoyances and can be dealt with. But there is a melancholy that happens when thinking about the horrible, life threatening (ending) diseases that come with advanced age.
Knowing that the "finish line" is within sight is bothersome and keeps cropping up in one's mind.
Just how much function is a person able to cope with before saying "enough"? That's an individual choice. I've had severely crippled friends that couldn't even feed themselves that still found enjoyment in their lives.
For me, I think I could handle a great deal of physical function loss. The mind is a different matter. Without mental sharpness life is simply existence. That's my greatest worry.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-28-2021, 01:26 PM
kenny c kenny c is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Greenwich R.I.
Posts: 3,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob w View Post
I'm pretty old, coming up on 80 in a few short months. When you're young, thinking about being old is discouraging. Aging brings on the obvious difficulties and one cannot judge how one will accept the challenges of aging.
I find that loss of strength, reduced vision and hearing along with aches and pain are annoyances and can be dealt with. But there is a melancholy that happens when thinking about the horrible, life threatening (ending) diseases that come with advanced age.
Knowing that the "finish line" is within sight is bothersome and keeps cropping up in one's mind.
Just how much function is a person able to cope with before saying "enough"? That's an individual choice. I've had severely crippled friends that couldn't even feed themselves that still found enjoyment in their lives.
For me, I think I could handle a great deal of physical function loss. The mind is a different matter. Without mental sharpness life is simply existence. That's my greatest worry.
Agreed. I'll be 57 next month, not that old. The aches and pains I have now and loss of strength and arthritis. suck. I work around all of that but the fear of mental decline is terrifying. I have such a strong family history of it. I feel it is only a matter of time. So for as long as I can I'm trying to enjoy life.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-28-2021, 05:13 PM
Torchie's Avatar
Torchie Torchie is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 7,153
Default

Sending you and your family peace and strength. Dozer.
Torchie
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 PM
soltz's Avatar
soltz soltz is offline
The Rat Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bloomfield, N.M.
Posts: 4,868
Red face

My condolences Dozer!
__________________
Be Safe
and
Be Creative
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-29-2021, 03:46 AM
DozerII's Avatar
DozerII DozerII is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Saskatchewan Can.
Posts: 3,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Sending you and your family peace and strength. Dozer.
Torchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by soltz View Post
My condolences Dozer!
Thanks Guys
__________________
Glen
My 29 Essex Build http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34026

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-29-2021, 06:13 AM
BillM's Avatar
BillM BillM is offline
Rusty Rat Rodder
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,495
Default

So sorry to learn of your loss Dozer, my condolences.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.