My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then....I'm gona have some pop-corn too!

I have the cradle bracket welded in to the firewall and the unit bolted in as it bolts in on the Saturn.

Geee wiz....what difficult job that was. No room in that foot well or under that dash and I'm about as flexible as a broom stick. My hands are cut to hell and I cricked my old neck. argggg

Next I have to measure and order the steer away and u joints.

I'm hitting the crib....night jim bob as they say on the waltons :eek:)

Attachments

• DSCF5719.jpg
    DSCF5719.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 26
That looks great!
I know it`s not so easy when building something new, but I just love a rotisserie. On this column job you would hang the car on it`s side , stand in the door opening and work standing up straigh underneath the dash. I do regret selling mine and I might build another. If you have one laying around, you use it.

Thanks guys.... bracket is done now, added in a couple supports, one bolted so I can remove if needed. I'll take a pic later. Sitting up in bed typing,,,having a hard time getting moving this morning.

Yeah... that's the ticket! A rotisserie would be awesome to have....I just don't have the room here for one.

Nice job! Your mounting bracket looks so simple compared to mine. Keep the reports comin'!

Thanks Turbo... Ordered the steer clear last night and a coupling that I might be able to weld to the stock u-joint to make the connection. Also ordered the Bruno controller. Thanks again for the link to your write up....it's a big help understanding what to do.

Couple pictures of the steering column bracketry completed and my brake pedal work around to the other side of the frame rail.

And.....my small foot well.

Attachments

• DSCF5750.jpg
    DSCF5750.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF5749.jpg
    DSCF5749.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF5753.jpg
    DSCF5753.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF5741.jpg
    DSCF5741.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 12
So my steer clear came today....I was so ****ed. First the box it was in....the inner box for the product was opened & taped closed. I saw that and said oh ****.

Took it out of the box and it was scratched up, 2 screws missing and half the steer clear sticker scraped off. Obviously returned by someone else. Who knows why the screws where missing and what was done inside. All the screws where removed and put back in by someone who had a lousy phillips screwdriver.

After waiting a half hour on hold I got a return label and sent it back. They are sending me a replacement but it certianly wasn't checked when returned and not checked again when shipped to me. Pretty lousy

I was able to check the sizing and all and it looks like it is going to work well.

With the rate people send items back, that is happening more and more.
There are people buying pallets of returned item from Amazon, Orielly's, etc. and selling them over the innerweb. The items on these pallets have not been inspected and most of the time have missing parts.

With the rate people send items back, that is happening more and more.
There are people buying pallets of returned item from Amazon, Orielly's, etc. and selling them over the innerweb. The items on these pallets have not been inspected and most of the time have missing parts.

I saw that on FB Marketplace. Someone selling pallets of Home Depot returned goods. These guys at speedway ought to be inspecting when items are returned and when sent out....and x2 if in a broken down box. Folks are on auto pilot these days

I wasn't sure what Steer Clear was until I Googled it. Steering box drop, right? Wizard Fabrication manufactures them. They're about 100 miles up the road from me. I wouldn't trust Speedway. Buy it directly from Wizard. About $50 cheaper than Speedway and shipping is $16. I'm sure theirs will be in pristine condition!
http://www.wizardsteerclear.com/store.html

I wasn't sure what Steer Clear was until I Googled it. Steering box drop, right? Wizard Fabrication manufactures them. They're about 100 miles up the road from me. I wouldn't trust Speedway. Buy it directly from Wizard. About $50 cheaper than Speedway and shipping is $16. I'm sure theirs will be in pristine condition!

Thanks Turbo....I wish I knew that. I sent it back and the new one is on the way. This is the second time I've had a problem with speedway.

I'm down right now with covid... hopefully I'll be back up in a week. This is no fun...

Thanks Turbo....I wish I knew that. I sent it back and the new one is on the way. This is the second time I've had a problem with speedway.

I'm down right now with covid... hopefully I'll be back up in a week. This is no fun...

Not cheap but a killer solution if it works as good as it looks. That might be one of the answers to something I've got going on. Both you guys keep us informed!

Couper- get yourself well and get back out in the garage! Hang in there rat man! ;) [;)

Hey Hey.....back in the garage where I belong!

Ya hooooo. Back in the garage 2 days felt great to be back at it. I am ALIVE :eek:)

Ok enough of that.... I am very excited tonight.

Steer Clear is in and working beautifully. I cut a plate to strengthen the fire wall at the mounting, machined the old saturn u-joint to accept a 3/4 36 spline coupling that I had to shorten up to fit the space and bolted her up. Very smooth. When I pull the cab I'll change out the fasteners to some allen button heads.

Attachments

• DSCF5760.jpg
    DSCF5760.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF5761.jpg
    DSCF5761.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF5768.jpg
    DSCF5768.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back