Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love ya Torchie. Make sure you are satisfied with what the Docs tell you.

Thanks bob.:) And thanks to all of you, too.
I am . Dr changed up one of my meds. The thought is that a lower dose will not cause my BP's to drop so much.
I did that myself for a few days and it looked to be working. I told the DR that I changed it and he said it was exactly what he would have done in my place.
I am also modifying some of the things I was doing.
So now we start the new regime and we will see how it goes.
Keep on keeping on.......
Torchie

Glad to hear you're here. Take care of your self. Sounds like you have a plan. We need you around here. The place wouldn't be the same without you. Keep on keepin on.

My dad went through the heart issues thing for years so at arms length I'm aware of the struggles. All you fellas hang in there. We all need to enjoy life and relationships for all they're worth because even the healthiest of us ain't guaranteed tomorrow.

Keep on rat'in! [;)

Felt really good for the first time in a while so I headed out to the shop.
Had to do some welding for my friend. Then I started to work on one of the Dodge hinges.
Typical sloppy old car hinge.
Got it all pressed apart.[cl
Now I have to come up with a pin and some new bushings.
I haven't been able to source a new Mopar pin. The one I bought that was supposed to work is way too small.
The top of the pin broke off so I'd prefer not to use it. Not sure that I can.
Time to start scrounging.
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-4.jpg
    0-4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 11
  • 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 10
Sometimes you can find hinge pin and bushing sete in the help rack at the auto parts store. Maybe you could find something there

Thats my starting point, kenny.
That will happen on Monday. My local store has a kit but it may be a bit bigger then I want. It Mics out at just larger than 5/16.
I did a quick search on the internet and am not finding what I need.
The pin comes in at 5/16=0.3125 Most that I have seen are much too thin.
The heavy strap part of the hinge has the pin pressed into it. So that has to be taken into consideration.
Torchie

Thats my starting point, kenny.
That will happen on Monday. My local store has a kit but it may be a bit bigger then I want. It Mics out at just larger than 5/16.
I did a quick search on the internet and am not finding what I need.
The pin comes in at 5/16=0.3125 Most that I have seen are much too thin.
The heavy strap part of the hinge has the pin pressed into it. So that has to be taken into consideration.
Torchie

Not sure I'm understanding the last part here. By "heavy strap part", do you mean the "tongue" (the part that fastens to the door), or the "hinge frame" (the part that fastens into the A pillar)? (I'm not claiming to have the right terminology, it's just what I call these different parts.)
Anyway, on my 46 Plymouth, the hinge pin is stationary in the hinge frame, and turns in the tongue. Some while back I posted a question for ideas of how to make the top & bottom holes in the frame part smaller, because I was told that the pins were supposed to be 5/16". (But form what I see now, the original size for mine was 11/32".) So based on the 5/16" diameter info, I had bought some sintered bronze bushings, and reamed out one of my hinge tongues to accept the bushing. (Mine were rusted in so tight that the pins had twisted off, and I had to drill most of them out. The bores on those that came out easiest were also really scarred up inside.)

Yees Neato.
By the strap part I’m referring to the part that bolts to the inner door.
On these, near as I can tell the pin was press fitted into the strap and the pin turns against the bushing. The pin shows no wear. The bushing has been hogged out.
The first pin I bought from a reputable Mopar parts dealer. No where near being big enough.
Who knows....
Torchie

Yees Neato.
By the strap part I’m referring to the part that bolts to the inner door.
On these, near as I can tell the pin was press fitted into the strap and the pin turns against the bushing. The pin shows no wear. The bushing has been hogged out.
The first pin I bought from a reputable Mopar parts dealer. No where near being big enough.
Who knows....
Torchie

I didn't realize any MoPars were built that way. I wondered, because I thought I could see a bit of the serrations on your picture 0-2.jpg, just below where the head broke off. (The one of the pin itself.) On mine, there are serrations on a shoulder just below the head, which when pressed into the top part of the hinge frame, is supposed to prevent the pin from turning there. (Mine rusted fast in the strap, and when the door was forced, the head just twisted off. The bottom end on mine is not a tight fit, so it started turning there, but the door was super wobbly.)

I found that thread where I had posted about my problem with the hinges on my 46 Plymouth. (I still haven't fixed them. My work is getting in the way of my hobby....)

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37464&highlight=hinge+pin+repair

Last edited:
There is serations at the top of the pin. Nestor

I’m basing all of this on the fact that I can still put the pin in through the worn bushing but not the hole in the strap. There are absolutely no wear marks on the pin at all.
I could be full of beans. Wouldn’t be the first time.😜
Thanks for your input. I need all the info I can get.
Torchie

Just thinking out loud...

Can you drill the strap and hinge for a 5/16" bolt, then use a grade 8 bolt as a pin, with a self locking nut on the bottom? You would still need a bushing top and bottom on the hinge, so that hole would need to be large enough to fit the 5/16" ID bushing. Might sound a little redneck, but I think it could work....:confused::confused::confused:

Just thinking out loud...

Can you drill the strap and hinge for a 5/16" bolt, then use a grade 8 bolt as a pin, with a self locking nut on the bottom? You would still need a bushing top and bottom on the hinge, so that hole would need to be large enough to fit the 5/16" ID bushing. Might sound a little redneck, but I think it could work....:confused::confused::confused:

Not red neck at all. Bama.
That’s on my “alternatives” list should I be unable to find a legit pin.
So far no luck.
Torchie

I'm still here and continue with the Door hinge saga.
Neato's comments about how the hinge worked was a big help. thanks Neato
Thanks Neato. That was a big help.
It seems that the 49 (That I know of) is a different size pin then the 46-48 and the 52-54?
I have managed to source some Dorman parts that I'm hoping to bundle together to make this all work.
The health issues are starting to get sorted out again. At least some of them.

Keep on keeping on....
Torchie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back