Rear end dilemma...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_bull

I have a 97 Firebird rear end going into my 29 Model A. Its a great width but now that I am doing the calipers, they are going to hit the body in the factory location. I unbolted the mounting plate, in order to rotate it down and out of the way, only to find there is only one way to mount them. Is there a relocation bracket kit out there that would bolt to the factory bolt pattern? I know they make them for 9" Fords. Thanks in advance!

Can the brackets be flipped side to side and move the calipers where you want them?
Or turn them where you want them then drill new holes.
A pic of what you're wanting to do would help.

Can the brackets be flipped side to side and move the calipers where you want them?

Thats what I was hoping to do. Flipping left to right would net the same thing (caliper at 2 o'clock). The 4 mounting holes have just one pattern that they can mount to the rear end (the two top holes are about 1/2"-3/4" wider than the bottom two holes. I'll step out to the garage to take some pics real quick. Actually I found a picture online that shows better than what I could take as I would have to pull the axle to show this

Attachments

• G4652_10444626.jpg
    G4652_10444626.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

I found this as well. The Pontiac is apparently slightly different than the GM 12 bolts

Attachments

• 91031983_L_14943d2c-a7f2-4438-b85b-0ad7afb1f957.jpg
    91031983_L_14943d2c-a7f2-4438-b85b-0ad7afb1f957.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 17
I see what you're talking about.

Soooo...Speedway makes a weld on bracket for a 78-88 mid sized GM caliper. Thinking this may be a better option as thats what is on the front of my car. Curious as to what the rotor might be. I have all the part numbers for calipers/pads/etc. But I need to figure out what rotor that would work for that setup.

That diagram is for the early Pontiac/ Olds rears. The later model corporate rears are all the same as far as I know.

Ah ok. I'll take a hard measurement of what I have. That's what I get for assuming, lol. If they are the same, there are all manner of bolt on kits that fit GM 10 and 12 bolts. I was about to pull the trigger on the weld on kits.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back