Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReoTailLightBrkt004.jpg

Welded the three pieces. Then cut it apart and did it right. Times like these I think I am dyslexic. The new one doesn't look quite right in the pic but it is a real close match.

Also made rear shock brackets, finished the steering box mount and started on a gas tank.

Oh, and got the heater and the dash half reinstalled in my son's Equinox. Horrible job. Who designs these things anyway???

(The start of this entry is at the end of page 16).

Last edited:
Oh, and got the heater and the dash half reinstalled in my son's Equinox. Horrible job. Who designs these things anyway???

The same people who design parts to last the same length as the warranty. :mad:

Great work, Bob. You're an inspiration to us all.

They are designed to go together as one unit faster at the factory not come apart easier afterwards. I know. I spent 12 years cursing the engineers at GM!

ReoTank005.jpg

Been building a gas tank. It is only 8 1/4 gallons. But I can't drive more than a hundred miles in a rough rider without taking a break. So it will be big enough. I am building it using the technique that Tator (here on RRR) taught me. After bending the 18 gauge sheet metal body in Terry's brake, I took the piece home and finished it by butt welding the remaining joint (visible on the left panel running vertically).
The end panels are cut 1/2" oversize and the flange is raised with a hammer and dolly. The end panel is tapped in place and the two edged are melted with an oxy-acetylene torch. No filler rod is needed.
Also started building a storage area in the trunk out of 18 gauge sheet metal.

Looks good Bob! I like to make a 3rd (or 4th if the tank is wider) end plates. I then slip the extra plate inside for a baffle. Knock a couple of 1/2 moon cut outs in the bottom so fuel will flow under them. [P

ReoRearXmember002.jpg

The gas tank and a sheet metal storage area are now inside the trunk Added the rear cross member today.

The tire carrier will have a vintage tire and clincher rim of the size that a '28 Reo would normally have. That will fill the space.

ReoRearXmember008.jpg

A friend gave me this Chevy truck steering box. I found half a mounting bracket on a frame section out in my "pile". I made the pinch clamp on the top and the angle mounting bracket. The motor mount needed to be notched. Currently working on the steering column and u-joint arrangement.

Looks good Bob! I like to make a 3rd (or 4th if the tank is wider) end plates. I then slip the extra plate inside for a baffle. Knock a couple of 1/2 moon cut outs in the bottom so fuel will flow under them. [P

Believe it or not, horizontal baffles (a couple of layers) work better at eliminating fuel slosh and slosh noise.

Fuel noise is becoming a really big issue on new cars as they go to "start/stop technology". When the motor noise goes away, people hear all kinds of funky little noises that have been masked.

Last edited:
BoxPlates002.jpg

Made some boxing plates for the rear frame members today. Used a sawzall and a hole saw. My hands hurt.

Flipper, nice to see you back posting. Fuel slosh noise won't be an issue. I just hope I can hear the engine over all the rattles.

MoreBox003.jpg

Here's the plates just sitting there. I'll tack 'em in tomorrow.
Next is some floor work. I need to determine seat position in order to locate the steering wheel. Seating is a bit tough as the glass height is small and the roof is flat so there isn't much head room. A short guy like me will be able to sit up pretty straight but a tall guy will have to lay back somewhat to fit in this thing.

Thanks to everyone that is following this build.

TrunkDone002.jpg

I can't get a lot of junk in my trunk but there is some storage space. The rear axle takes up a lot of space.

Currently working on the steering column. Trying to make it tilt and telescope a bit. The intent is to make the car reasonably comfortable for a short or tall driver.

Also working on the brake pedal. Will be using a Howe race master cylinder on the firewall. I cut up and rearranged a Model A pedal arm for the purpose. Got a Model T steering wheel today.

falconvan, There's three different size holes. I have been using the same hole saws for years. When they get dull I just push harder.:D

Last edited:
FloorFraming002_zpsfd30a64b.jpg

Started framing in for the floor. 1 1/2" by 1/8" flat stock and 1" angle iron. The floor will be 3/4" plywood. It provides good sound and heat insulation. It is set at the botom of the frame rails.

Johnson, I left the opening for a joke. It takes a big, mature Johnson to not take the bait.

Latest posts

Back